Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

I'm appalled
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: I'm appalled Reply with quote

I was on the island from July 1st through the 5th. On the 4th, we took a drive out to the North Shore in the late afternoon. When we pulled into the east campsite, there was no one to be seen and a fire WITH OPEN FLAMES about 8 inches high STILL GOING. Apparently, whoever had previously used the campsite left in a rush to get to the boat (or whatever) and left thier fire still going. Granted, it was in the fire pit, but THIS is exactly the kind of thing that could burn the entire island. On a lesser note, on numerous occasions I have seen trash left at the campsite. I serisouly think that some kind of system to hold the campers accountable should be implemented. I'd also be interested to know what the limitations are on the length of time you can camp at a designated campsite, as there are currently Finnish vagabonds LIVING, not camping, on the north shore as well. Can you even camp there? Can you camp anywhere you want on state land? Even if it's not a designated campsite? I got sidetracked, but I think there needs to be some serious accountability.
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took a drive on the north shore around 5pm on the 4th. My husband is a volunteer firefighter here on BBI. He and our friends put the fire out. It was reported to the assistant fire chief tonight at their semi monthly meeting. Our island is too precious for such carelessness and irresponsibility. We were hoping they would come back and complain to someone that their fire had been put out. Had you tried to put it out? Or was it later than 5pm?
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, regretably, we had nothing in our car to put it out with, and it was a sizeable fire. But again, there needs to be accountabilty for using the campsites.
Joan
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: I'm appalled Reply with quote

Pilot Kid,
Let me get this straight: You saw a sizeable fire, didn't bother to put it out, and you are worried about the island Question Question Do you realize that sand or dirt could have smothered the fire? If the ground was hard, you could have used your hands, feet, or rocks to loosen it. Did you report this to anyone or just go about what you were doing hoping that someone else would take care of it Question Thank goodness that others did come along.

Sorry that I'm venting on you, but being a fireman's wife I just can't help myself.
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, guess I should be taken into town square and hung for my apaprent apathy. Sorry for expressing my concern about this matter, guess I had no place to speak at all.

sorry for the attitude, but with you having nothing constructive to add to the original issue and for the most part attacking me, I couldn't help myself.
Joan
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: I'm appalled Reply with quote

Pilot kid,
Sorry that I attacked you; I just couldn't help myself.

I have never camped on the island, but I surely can understand everyones frustration with inconsiderate campers. I agree with you that the campers should be held accountable, but how can it be done?
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the law enforcement HAS to be involved. When this came up before, people responded that it's "not his jurisdiction." Bull. If Whipple is the only law enforcement figure we have on the island, then he BETTER be responsible for ALL of it. He could drove out there once a day, or even every other day to make his presence known, ask campers to take care of thier trash and fires, and be considerate of other campers. Otherwise, put a sign at the end of the dock asking all campers to register at the township offices, and implement some kind of precedure where upon check in, you make your time of departure known and Whipple comes out a hour before to make sure your campsite is okay. There's got to be some kind of accountabilty, no matter how its done.

PS- anyone know about how long/where you can camp on state land?
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing As Smokey the Bear would say " the issue is Not Accountability .. It IS Responsibility, and WE ALL need to be responsible at all times.. "
Now lets move on.. ALL POINTS WELL MADE>> Shocked Shocked

Uncle Steve
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilotkid - You're behavior is moronic!

How can you justify walking away from an unattended fire? I don't know if you noticed a big lake, just steps away? Carrying water isn't rocket science. A hat will do. Or a shoe. Or sopping wet trousers. Or beer cans slung on the beach.

Then you want Graham to be responsible for all.

Get serious!

A logical solution to the visitor/camping problem is print up rule brochures, and insist that the ferry operators carry them in a visible location. If camping gets out of control, the DNR should be held responsible.

The garbage transfer station should be free to incentivize proper disposal of all trash. There should be an open container outside the fence at all times. Payment for Waste Management should come from an excise fee imposed on ALL visitors. This fee would be collected with the ferry toll.
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I've seen a trivial blaze set the forest floor on fire on Bois Blanc. Even after the intial burning area was extinguished, tamped, and covered with sand and rocks, a smoldering finger was found hours later outside the area of containment. In many places the soil isn't composted. It's just dry needles, leaves, twigs, etc. Quite scary.

I don't like any fires on the Island.

I don't know why campers don't use gas burners anyway? Burners are safer, easier, cleaner, and cheap. I don't know any serious backpackers or canoists who build cook fires.

But then again I'm a zero impact traveller. I always clean up my beach when I arrive. I've never understood why folks on Bois Blanc throw crap in the woods, leave trashk, shotgun casings and cigarette butts along the shoreline; and drive those noisy ATV's.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year a sizable bon-fire was built down by the dock. They took the brush from a large pile and constucted their bon-fire about five feet away from the large pile they got it from. They used gasoline from a container, that was leaking, set it down no more that 7-10 feet away, and it leaked and drained towards the fire. Then they all took off to get beer....
Seeing them leave the fire unattended, the fire dept was called. They came and put the fire out. Irresponsible of those people to do that....very RESPONSIBLE of the people, who made the effort to call, when it was left unattended.
You are appalled by the fact that they left the fire burning.
We are appalled that you left it burning as well....

Yes, maybe some rules should be implemented...
Yes, everyone needs to be responsible....
and Yes, everyone at some point has to step up and clean someone else's mess at times.

When you see the trash, do you pick it up? I do...
If you see someone doing something stupid, with their fire? I do....

If no one is there to govern the laws, do you let them know what the rules are? I do....

I have been told I should mind my own business by someone I approached, and I said, this Island is everyone's business that lives on it!

Lisa
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we had some sort of "Environmental Ranger", somone hired by the township to live there and keep tabs on campers etc, check them in/out, hold them accountable and basically pick up the slack from having only one law enforcement officer on the island. Basically take care of issues related to the human-environment interaction on the island so Officer Whipple can focus on law enforcement (and cracking down on those irresponsible drivers SPEEDING through the PINES!). I know there used to be such a person on the island? not sure what happened?

Also, in response to the venting and the posts, I live in the Pines and was just up there for the 4th weekend and I also noticed the fire at the dock. Grahm was down there from time to time. However, I personally spoke to a few of the kids down there and asked them to be mindful of their garbage (i.e. cig butts and boxes, wrappers, etc) and they were receptive. Yet the next morning I saw one of them throwing the logs from the fire in the lake!?

Responsibiliy, Accountability, and Awareness are key.
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the dock/fire issue....

my brother and i and a few of his friends put out a roaring fire this weekend that was left at the dock. it was about 2:00 a.m. and clearly there had been no attempt to put the fire out.
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that portion of the beach down by the dock where they have these fires considered property of the Pines Association? or what ever the active association is called now?
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Trie wrote:
Pilotkid - You're behavior is moronic!

How can you justify walking away from an unattended fire? I don't know if you noticed a big lake, just steps away? Carrying water isn't rocket science. A hat will do. Or a shoe. Or sopping wet trousers. Or beer cans slung on the beach.

Then you want Graham to be responsible for all.

Get serious!

A logical solution to the visitor/camping problem is print up rule brochures, and insist that the ferry operators carry them in a visible location. If camping gets out of control, the DNR should be held responsible.

The garbage transfer station should be free to incentivize proper disposal of all trash. There should be an open container outside the fence at all times. Payment for Waste Management should come from an excise fee imposed on ALL visitors. This fee would be collected with the ferry toll.

As the Deckhand on the Joelle AnnMarie I would make sure it was posted on the ferry for all to see.

DeckHand Dave
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.lnt.org

this link is a great start to creating a pamphlet for island tourists/campers.

I would be willing to get the ball rolling on this if there was adequate support. and we could add info about wetlands, emerald ash borer, garbage, etc
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to give Pilotkid the benefit of doubt and just say he was not smart enough to figure out how to put a fire out with sand or water, but why wouldn't he call anyone or go get someone to help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the camping on State Land issue, you need to obtain a camping permit from the DNR and fill out the paper and post it on a tree or something near your camp site with name, address and all people whom are camping on site. You are allowed to stay for no more then 7 days then you must move at least 500 yards I believe from your previous spot. ALL trash must be removed and firepits filled back in or a HEAVY fine will be issued to the FIRST person on the camping list. The DNR will enforce this.
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hope the DNR would enforce this but how often are they on the Island??? I still think we need a permanent person to handle these issues.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester...Thanks for the info.
Sounds like The start of something positive!
Pilotkid... Thank you for starting a great topic!
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the DNR seems to be lack of funding. I've found the DNR folks to be friendly, cooperative, interested, but ineffectual. A couple of simple steps to begin:

State Land should be demarked on the ground so that the public knows what is public property. I've resisted putting up fences and no trespassing signs, but some hunters and campers seem to think that ALL open land is fair game. It would take the pressure off private landholders if the DNR were to help.

DNR should have a camping reservation system built around an on-line website. Spaces could be reserved, and paid for over the 'net. Oversight from June to Labor Day would be paid from fees. It would be a wonderful summer job for a local teen+.

Speed limit of 25 MPH should be enforced, everywhere, not just the Pines.
Roads should be allowed to return toward their narrow, rutted past. Bad roads control speeding best. (Re: the argument that motorists and plows don't mix - I submit that if the plow sported a low-power FM radio transmitter to warn oncoming cars, the issue is academic. Cost of such a device is <$100.)

One weekend each summer, the kids should be enlisted in an island clean-up - Walk the entire perimeter beach front and road system with trash bags. Kids go out in pairs, assigned X-number of miles. Followed by a big party.

Encourage DNR folks to come over regularly and run tours. Forest, flowers, fauna, bugs. Animal tracking. Wetlands. etc.

And etc.
ambs
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good ideas, and probably would be helpful... but it also seems to take away from the feel of the island that everyone here loves so much.

There are many times that my friends and I, and I'm sure more others that I could count, got a notion to go camping at random. We drive out there, see if anything's open, and if not we're out of luck. Never had to pay a thing, other than our frustration at getting camp set up near dark.

Also, many people who are on Boblo dont have the internet and are unaware that time on the net could be rented at Hawks, although I'm not sure if that's still the case or no. Relaxation and spontaneity go hand in hand to make our common vacation retreat so amazing. I wouldnt want to have to plan months ahead to go camping for an evening or a weekend.

For the roads, if they were to go back to their more primitive ways, someone would be out of a job. As scarce as year-round jobs are, I dont think it great to cut them back even further.

Some of the kids clean up what they see now, but it could be a very interesting and beneficial event. I dont see many others, apart from the ones who do it on their on free will volunteering, though. I also wouldn't limit it only to the kids if the idea caught on though... any able-bodied volunteer could be welcome. With a set amount of space though, I see less people participating unfortunately. Just an all around island beautifying day instead- a do what you can kinda deal.

Wow, this managed to get quite longer than I had anticipated. I think that getting ideas flowing is fantastic, and I'm glad it's happening... but sometimes, not always but sometimes, what you're giving up isn't worth what you're trying to protect in the long-run.

Now I'm just going to wait and see how my soap box stands up to the battering it is very likely to receive Smile Just bear in mind these are only my thoughts, not meant to attack, offend, or anything else of the like.
wine country
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: I am appalled.... Reply with quote

Sad This is truely a hot topic!!!!! I see at the ferry dock their is an old beat up sign telling people of the chance of fire danger...Part of the sign was recently covered up with the july 2nd island celebration day event sign. Fire prevention must be a top priority every single day!!!!! I see the need for a more visible sign like the one i am showing to the left....The best part about the island is it is densely wooded everywhere...As smokey the bear says only you can prevent forest fires......GREAT JOB KATIE!! Regard, Kevin.......... Idea
ambs
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a sad sad day... but smokey the bear now informs us that only we can prevent wild fires, instead Wink
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said that ...............................

1.) Camping is permitted on ANY part of State land whether it is a designated camping site OR any where the State owns land.

2.) The DNR have vessels to go to the Island when ever they wish (This was shown to us by .. last month when they had ALL of the boats at the dock)

As to the kids for cleanup day ......... HOOORAY ........ I think they wouldn't mind doing it a bit. Heck, even I would help if there was pizza at the end of the day and I got a tan. Razz

3.) I will pick up some of the FREE camping permits and give them to Graham when I see him next. All he would have to do is, give them to the person in charge and just drive by the next time to see if they posted it.

4.) There are now permits that have to be obtained by phone for fire burning, so hopefully all will be better. I have it posted on the ferry boat as of tonight. Laughing

Deckhand Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: