Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Brainstorming Meeting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ambs
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Brainstorming Meeting Reply with quote

So here is the extra thread promised.

If anybody would be interested in getting together in efforts to start a pamphlet or any other of the concerns brought up in recent topics, I will be on the island from July 16th through the 23rd. An open forum welcoming site members and anyone else you can wrangle up that would be willing.

Where we would meet would depend on the number of participants. Since I won't be on Bois Blanc til the 16th, if anyone could figure out a meeting place I would be much obliged.

Leave a comment if you think you would be able to attend, or of any of your friends or family members who might be interested. Hopefully I will see some of you there!
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ambs, did you see my post in the Future of the Island thread?

July 21
twp hall
2:00?

i still have to check with Cheryl about getting some space in the hall that day

this is awesome!!!!!!! Razz
ambs
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great... now if we could get others to play along it would be even better. I'm just glad that something is happening.

Thanks for the help and all the contributions to the other threads!
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya getting more people involved is essential. I think if we say when and where they will come. I know my family will be there!

Thank you for your willingness to help! this is going to be great! maybe we should keep minutes of the meeting as well, just to keep a record of our progress etc?

I will think of helpful things to bring and if you think of something but not sure where to find it let me know. I have lots of books etc and lots of resources available. did you check out www.lnt.org ?? the pamphlets they have might be a good addition to ours..
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the township office and am waiting for a reply. Sounds like we may have to pay to rent the "wagner room"? I wonder if we can use the community building?

Als Sister, I think it is a great idea to involve both the township and the association and anyone who is interested! open to all!
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you may have some of the same interests and concerns, it might be wise to contact someone on the BBI Parks & Recreation Committee. They meet the 2nd Saturday of the month from June thru Sept. I know Graham Whipple is part of that committee and I believe Bruce McAfee is too. It's another way to get your voices heard.
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be able to make the meeting but would like to offer a few suggestions:
*I view this as an awareness campaign and a way to make campers responsible for their own actions.
*The fire-permits are already being done, and it would be quite simple to have a sign-up for campsites. This might also ease the frustration of driving back to the NorthShore and finding all sites full.
*A brochure on the ferry describing NO IMPACT camping and giving instructions on where to receive permits and what to do with waste, excrement and trash. Possible rules/suggestions:

1. There is no trash pick-up along the North Shore, so cans thrown in the low areas along the roads will remain there unless picked up by future campers.

2. Toilet paper and feces burried a few inches under the forest duff will remain there for only a short time. Please bag your debris and take it out! (a nice seat that snaps over a 5-gallon bucket can be found in the camping section of some stores and then the bucket can be lined with walmart bags).

3. Fires do not consume everything thrown in them (including cans, bottles and diapers).

4. Cedar, especially green, is a poor fire log, as are almost all green growing trees and shrubs! Leave your dan'l boone hachet at home and burn fallen timber and ugly drift wood (emphasis on ugly!).

5. Don't break glass around camp!

6. Pull your tent stakes up, don't just break them off!

7. Leave your nails at home! Trees have feelings, and although they don't seem to mind ropes and straps, nails make them bleed!

8. Make sure your fire is out!

9. If possible, leave a little kindling and wood for the next camper that will probably arrive at dusk just like you did!

10 Leave the camp better than how you found it!
and for the hunters: beach goers hate seeing your spent wads and shells along the beach almost as much as the ducks do! Pick them up!

*I believe we can all agree that insensitive or apathetic behavior has changed the atmosphere of the Island. This has to be addressed but in a way that will not lead to changes that also destroy the Islands atmosphere. Self-regulation, enhanced through education and monitoring by all Island-goers would be low cost and less detracting from the freedom found on the Island.
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindy, another great idea! including the BBI parks and rec committe in the July 22 meeting!

I have yet to hear back on our space at the township hall so if anyone has any alternative ideas ??

Also, I wanted to just double check that we are still on for the meeting before contacting the parks and rec committe etc.. and maybe as we get closer to the date we can start compiling information, things to bring etc

any and all suggestions appreciated.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
For all of you that don't know me by my site name, I am Tony Babcock. I was one of the last to be born and raised on the island and left for better employment opportunities. I still come to the island as often as I can. I also own a place in the Pines and am concered about some of your issues.
We all must take care of the island and teach others the way to take care of it; the elders of my time told you what you did wrong and if you didn't comply then got the law involed, not call the police the 1st thing you saw wrong. It is all of our responsibility to try to help or tell others how to take care of things on the island. But I am the first to say (NO MORE LAWS, RULES, SIGNS, LAWSUITES, ETC), I live in the world of, "this is mine and that is yours and I'm not sharing anything with you." If you like that stay in the city. As for pets and kids, it is great to have a place to let your pet run around a little and your kids have a little more freedom. I'm also the first to say don't take advantige of the situation, but if you start making laws etc. it ruins it for those of us that know what the limts are.

Thanks for being concerned but be carefull what you wish for you just might get it.

Tony Babcock
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Tony Reply with quote

Tony ..

Good to see you here !! Go for it Exclamation

My parents place is right close to yours in the pines .. yes its nice to let the children/pets run free in our little corner of the world ....
I really enjoyed seeing your little family enjoy the freedom of the island last summer ..

I am for you LET FREEDOM RING ON BOIS BLANC ISLAND !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on a thread that the meeting was on the 22?

do we have a for sure date? is there a date around those proposed that would work better for more people?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I soo wish I could be there but my schedule is geared more to the following week.. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.. Very Happy
ambs
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This evening is probably my last chance to check the site, so if anyone has anything in regards to the meeting *still hoping people show up* that you'd like to mention i'll be on here later hopefully, if not catch me on the island Wink
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony

You won't know me but your Mother and Dad will. I stayed with them one summer and helped your Grandpa build my folks place. It is very close to you folks.

Your Mother got to practice on me before Mark came along.

I just wanted to say you are right about island residents instructing visitors on the behavior that is expected on the island.

Thats how we learned form your Grand Father. Dad and Ray P. this was not a bad thing, we wanted to learn and be accepted as people that they would like to see return.

My folks became freinds with just about everyone. We almost became island residents. Dad applied for the post masters position if he had got it we were going to move there.

I am not sure but it may have been Audry that got the position rather then Dad.

Your right we don't need more rules and laws. You know there was a time when the island got along with out power,phones and police.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Hi !! Reply with quote

Good to see you back Jim Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
I am going up to the island for a family reunion on the 30th, I will ask mom and dad about you. Yes that would have ben my Aunt Audrey that got the post office postion.

Have a great day,
Tony Babcock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: