Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

New Member Introduction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilderness17
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: New Member Introduction Reply with quote

Hello everyone, my name is Brian and I am a 36 year old avid outdoorsman. I was introduced to the island today by a coworker who used to have a cabin on the island. So being the passionate outdoorsman that I am I instantly started do research online right away. WOW, it looks like a piece of heaven. I already have been looking at the listings for land for sale. This would be a wonderful place for me to spend some time. I have recently been taking video while bowhunting and have the opportunity this year to submit it for publishing on a new Hunting Video. I'm very excited about the opportunity.
I guess my first question is are there any other pasionate bow hunters or maybe land owners that that would be willing to allow someone like myself to hunt? And is the island all private land or is there public land for hunting? I'll just start with these questions and add more to the string later. I look forward to meeting everyone and feel free to give any helpful advice. It will truely be appreciated.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian, and welcome!

There is plenty of state-owned land on Bois Blanc, and a lot of privately-owned land too. I'm not a hunter but I understand hunting on BBI is very good. There's no other place like it in Michigan.

Take care,
Dan
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Hunting on Bois Blanc Island Reply with quote

Dan mentioned that the hunting on Bois Blanc Island is very good - Maybe he has better luck than most - Many go without seeing a legal deer during the fall - When we come to hunting camp from Iowa (although we don't hunt as hard as we used to) - We bring venison along so we can have some to eat Shrug
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also said I'm not a hunter... Smile I don't kill it, I just eat it. Wink

Dan
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bow hunting season may be very productive for the people in the know.. Very Happy There is plenty of state land to explore for sure.. Welcome to the site, Brian.. I'm sure there are a few involved people who will be willing to answer your questions..
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Hunting Reply with quote

Some of us have been coming up over 50 years from Iowa and I would say the deer herd is about 10-20% of what it once was - also realizing that it was possibly too high at one time. There just isn't the food sources there used to be and also the influx of coyotes have hurt the herd quite a bit.
Wilderness17
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. My coworker did mention the large amouts of coyote so I do know that they can damage a herd. Do you see deer regularly on the island? And is there any other species that are plentiful for hunters on the island (besides coyote). And is the fishing in the inland lakes any good?
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Hunting on the island Reply with quote

Don't let me discourage you as you will love the island - just trying to give you a realistic picture - There is Grouse. raccoon, squirrel, rabbits, turkeys and there has been reported of someone leaving the Bar and seeing a Polar Bear #Beer - Take some time with someone that knows the island and look it over good - It is a dense place to try to hunt, but very peacefull just sit in the woods to watch and listen! There are perch, walleye. northern and Smallmouth Bass along with a few other species on some of the inland lakes. Also some areas of the the shore on Lake Huron has good Smallmouth fishing. There is also the annual spring run of Suckers that many have some good recipes for - I personally have smoked them and also pickled them - they are good out of the clean water - Many have recipes to can them and they end up tasting like salmon - Enjoy..........Ron
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard the one about the polar bear, who started that?

There are no skunks!

Coyote? Really? I did not realize...

Rattlesnakes, I know, rare ones....
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone leaving the bar and saw a Polar Bear Question Maybe the bar served this person too many drinks Question Rattlesnakes is a yes Exclamation We have seen them. Not my cup of tea.
Wilderness17
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Cmon Reply with quote

You guys are supposed to make the island sound inviting..... Polar Bears????? Rattlesnakes?????? Cmon ...... This is Michigan. And I'm truley suprised to see there haven't been any hunters replying. It makes it sound like the hunting pressure must be minimal. Let me know???
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Hunting Reply with quote

I might have been kidding on the Polar Bear Very Happy - But yes there are a few rattlesnakes which mostly are scared of you as much as you are of them - I have seen a dozen or so in my years and actually did a couple in that had taken up residency around our cabin - You don't usually see them once the weather gets a little colder - You asked about hunting pressure - There isn't that much as the deer population is so low - but like I mentioned earlier, get together with someone that knows the island good and have them show you where state ground vs. private ground is - Stop at hawks landing and meet Larry and Missy and pick up a map - NEVER GO ON THE ISLAND WITHOUT A COMPASS - I also have a GPS, but it can be marginal with all the tree cover.
C Ya........Ron
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still asking about the coyote....anybody?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't you heard them howling out to Sand Bay yet, Lisa? It's true.. Smile
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyotes are thick back in the woods north of Thompson! Practically every night, out by the fire (when fires are allowed Wink ) you will hear them - first, one off to the west, maybe a quarter mile away. Then, another to the north. Then another. They form a wide circle and close in gradually - especially if you've been cooking meat that night. Pretty soon, you'd swear they are just outside the campsite. Shocked The howls get louder and louder. Then, after you go inside and go to bed, they come and investigate whatever you've left behind.

About 15 years ago, a buddy and I were trying to sleep in our little cabin back there. At four o'clock in the morning, a pack of coyotes assembled within 10 feet of the cabin and began howling like there was no tomorrow. Needless to say, it got our attention.

I have only laid eyes on a couple of coyotes there over the years - usually I'd catch them in the headlights if I was coming back to the camp late at night. The ones I saw were pretty scrawny... No offense to any coyotes who may be reading this...

Dan
DawnM
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I be worried about the coyotes trying to snach a small dog. She doesn't go too far away from my line of view? Sad
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert on this topic, but if I had a smaller dog on the Island, I'd be somewhat concerned about coyotes as well as rattlers. If the dog inadvertently comes too near a rattlesnake, even one of the small Mississaugas common on the Island could potentially kill it. Smaller animals and children are at greater risk for suffering the ill effects of snakebite than healthy adults. Coyotes probably are a threat to small animals as well, more during the evening and nighttime hours than during the day.

Again, this is not based on any personal experience, but is what I've always been told. If you keep the dog close to you and try not to let him/her get too far out of sight, you're probably fine.

Dan
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here again it would be very wise to keep your doggies leashed thumbs_up! so our little friends-buddies will not wander to far away from us. We need to protect them in every way possible... I have learned a lot from the pet channel on what some wild life, etc. can and will do to our pets. Very educational channel Exclamation
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Coyotes Reply with quote

They are all over the island - If someone wants to have some fun some night - Get ahold of a siren and give it a blast - They will light up all over the island with there howling - They love to gang up on dogs and I think one of there favorite foods is cats!!!!! - I would watch your pets very close - If they stray out in the woods, especially at night, there is a real good chance they won't come back - At least that's the way it is In Iowa!!
They get a large amount of the yearling deer in the winter time
byg
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The siren idea might be kinda fun! I've noticed that even my domesticated canines love a good howl with the sirens of the city....
Billie_Jo
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Coyotes and pets Reply with quote

Coyotes are very fond of small dogs and cats..yummy in the tummy to them..and I've lost many a cat to coyotes. It takes alot for a coyote to attack another animal such as a domestic pet. The dryer it is in the summer when the mice are down, or the colder it is, when again rodents are scarce, then coyotes will prowl and eat what they can catch. They generally do munch rodents, but like any other animal, when their food supply is low..then they do look elsewhere. They also get awfully brave and learn easily that if humans think they're "oh cute coyote", it's ok to venture too close...never allow that to happen. And if you think they're right "outside" the line of light from your fire..they generally are..they've nosey/curious animals.

Late night in the early summer..you'll hear coyotes "yip"...then a bunch of small "yips" usually with no howls..this is the parents teaching the pups to converse.

How far from the mainland is the island? And actually..how many miles is the island itself...there must be alot of woodlands to support a coyote colony. They generally don't like their dens to be in over populated areas. I'm also wondering about them crossing the ice in the winter...but then again..if the island is mostly uninhabited during those months..they feel they're in 7th heaven with free range.

Jo in Northern lower MI
boismatized
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Island Size. Reply with quote

Hi Billie_ jo, The island is aprx 12 miles long by 6.5 mile wide. It takes about 45 minutes by ferry to arrive (6 mi) . I was up last month and went riding through the state forest, and it's absolutely beautifully wild. I can see how the island can support a coyote population. I'm no expert, but if coyotes were to travel by ice, I'd tend to think they would migrate over from Round Island since it's unpopulated. One thing I noticed an abundance of was bats. Every evening at dusk I'd see to many to count. I think their an interesting animal and certainly a friend to the island with all it's insects. The place certainly gives you a feel as to what it may have been like a 100 years ago.
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain if the percentage is correct. But approx 60%+ is state owned. Bottomline....the wildlife owns the majority of the island.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The island is 5 miles from Cheboygan, and I have never heard of anyone's pet here on the island getting attacked or eated by a coyote! It could possibly happen I suppose, but I haven't heard of it here. And rattlesnakes, well............I hate snakes and watch for them all the time. In the 50 years that I've been here I have probably encountered a dozen in the woods. I've seen dead ones in the road, but it's not like we are over-run with rattlesnakes like the rumors would have it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
boismatized
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Rattle snakes? Reply with quote

You got me wondering. Since your association with the island has been a a long time, have you heard of anyone acually getting bit by one of these things? If so, what happened? I read a while back that Michigan rattlers are not as venimous as other in the warmer regions of the country. Just curious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: