Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

island gardening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: island gardening Reply with quote

We are looking to plant some perenials around our cabin and I'm wondering what the deer might leave alone and also what does well in the sandy soil.
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, deer will eat anything, and everything. Despite posts indicating a small current deer population, I can show you areas on the island that are over-grazed by deer.

I don't really understand why someone would plant a garden with 'Burpee'-type seeds when there are so many wonderful wildflowers on the island that bloom all summer. Cinquefoil, thistles, grasses, lillies, pitcher plants, pitchter's thistle, calypso orchid, solidago + other asters, even a tanzy.

What more do you need than raspberries and strawberries? Apples?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: WE Reply with quote

Charlie ...

Most of us ladies love our flowers ...

We dig in the dirt and plant them ..then water ...then watch them grow ... Oh !! How relaxing !! Theres something about getting your hands in the soil !!

Coming home and seeing the beautiful flowers makes my heart sing ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice a lot of container gardening.. Geraniums.. The deer save those as a last resort.. Columbine likes shade and foxglove.. They like a sandy loamy type of soil on the edge of shade. The deer around here don't eat those.. I notice different lilies planted close to the houses.. Anybody else? Very Happy
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deer eat columbine, particularly the commercial ones. Native columbine seems to survive longer.

Theoretically they shouldn't eat foxglove, but I believe that I've lost some to deer.

They love my Jackson & Perkins roses at home, but they don't seem to bother native wild roses on the Island.

I generally 'garden' on BBI using native 'muck' and wildflower seeds harvested from the woods and the wind. I end up with a Victorian affair that would make Gertrude Jekyll proud.

I usually feed parts of my woods every year. And I like to give the dwarf iris a shot of crushed limestone where they grow away from the road dust.

My favorite Island spaces are woodland swales covered with pine needles, dwarf iris, and interspersed copses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: