Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Airport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Cox
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Airport Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the length/width of the new runway at the airport will be? Also, will the current grass strip still be open, or will it be converted into a taxiway? Finally, does anyone have any information on the runway completion date?

Any information will be appreciated.

Dave
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I know is that paving is supposed to begin Monday 8-29-05.

http://www.bridge-view.net
Dave Cox
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldnt help but notice a lot of huge, black, equipment up by the township dock. This must be the paving equipment?
Stephen & Lori Doughty
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it supposed to be 3500' x 50', the grass strip in use now IS the taxiway and it is supposed to stay a taxiway and also be a grass strip for those who prefer that. The old grass stip is where the new paving is happening.

Completion??? Last month!
I hope it is this month, we are flying up Wednesday and staying a week.

S
white+begle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah...paved will be weird...
Dave Cox
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, it looks like they are within a couple of hundred yards of being done with laying and compacting stone. The stone layers looked to be quite substansial for the runway. I've not been told if they are paving with concrete or asphalt. The grass strip still looks to be in pretty good shape, though. (Although with the nearly three inches of rain since last Thursday, and the fact that the grass is lower than the new strip, I'd treat it as a "soft-field").
I certainly understand the upsides to paving, especially in the event of a medical emergency. At the same time though, I prefer grass strips. I learned to fly off of a 2400' grass strip with wires on one end and haybales (round) on the other. My first solo was also from that same strip (in a 1946 J-3 Cub). Call me old-fashioned or nostalgic, but I really will miss the grass strip.

Dave
Stephen & Lori Doughty
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer grass myself and in fact our home base airport is a 2300' grass stip with wires on the east end. I like the longer paved runway for heavy take offs though.

The paving will be asphalt.

S
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone steer me in the right direction? I don't get the whole "paving it is for medical aircraft". I'm CERTAINLY not say that paving it is a bad idea. I learned to fly on nothing BUT paved runways. I've flown into the island a few times, and it is a pretty nice grass strip. But I guess I've always thought that a "medical aircraft" is either Hoffman's flying service, or a medivac chopper (which will land regardless of whether its grass or not). I don't think any medical Citations or Lears are gonna land on a 3500' runway. I don't get it.

Onnnn a personal note, tommorow I'm moving in a Western Michigan University. I'll start my commercial multi-engine rating next semester. I'm pumped.
Dave Cox
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get bigger, heavier aircraft into a paved strip. Also, on a paved strip, you don't have to worry about trying a soft-field takeoff over tall trees with an aircraft that's potentially heavily loaded with patient, medical equipment, EMT's, etc. I've been told that the nearest helicopter certified for over water flight is located in either Traverse City or Roscommon. (I'll admit, that's hearsay). My Grandfather used to get a Seneca II in and out of the island airstrip with no problem. Probably the biggest factor for getting emergency aircraft in and out is in the winter. Sure, you can push the snow around on grass, but you'll never get it in as good as shape as you will on a paved runway. You also wont maintain snow removal on a grass strip nearly as quickly as you would on a paved runway. You won't leave ruts in a paved runway with a snow plow. Like I said in my earlier post, I love grass strips. However, I'm glad for the sake of the winter residents that the strip will be paved and emergency help will be that much more accessible to them.

Now...if only the FAA would pony up money for a localizer and ILS....

Cool
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The citation II has a t/o roll of 2990, on a smaller scale the C90A has a roll of 2261 with the obstacle (i.e. the trees at the end of the runway). In a citation, that'd be a little too close for my comfort. I still think that a chopper's the only thing that would be coming in here for "medical" reasons. About the Instrument approaches...an SDF or and LDA would be fantastic, or even if they wrote a VOR-A off Pellston's VOR like they did for Mackinac. Who knows, maybe they'll consider it once we're paved.
Stephen & Lori Doughty
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding was to allow turbo prop aircraft to come in and out for emergency purposes.

There will be a GPS approach.

S
Dave Cox
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the way the trees are knocked down to the west of the airport, I would imagine a King Air (or something of that class) would have no problem getting out in 3500'. Thanks for the input on the GPS approach, also Steve.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: