Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Politics and Paving
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Politics and Paving Reply with quote

I am all for free speach but also being respectful. If we don't discuss opinions, ideas, island politics, issues etc who will? and if we don't how can we ever expect change and action (good or bad)?

If you do what you have always done you will always get what you have always had (interpret as you may).

I was wondering if anyone had any information, insight or an opinion about a rumor I heard the other day..... paving of the dock and parking area???? to the tune of, well alot of money shelled out by the township???

and what is the current status of the airport? I also heard it is quite a mess down there?

again, just rumors I heard. I have not been up there in a few weeks.

I have a few questions I would like to ask those in power if in fact this rumor of paving the dock is true... for example was there an open public comment period?
Dave Cox
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard anything about the dock paving. I was at the island last weekend, though. I didn't really consider the airport area a "mess", at least not for a construction project. It looked to me like the paving project was coming along quite nicely, though from what I gather it is a bit behind schedule. The compacted stone base for the runway looked to be nearly complete a week ago, and I'm told paving should commence directly. As a pilot and a construction professional, I feel qualified to say that the area seemed "orderly", at least for a construction project of the magnitude of basically building an entirely new 3500' runway. This project really was quite an undertaking and I think it's good for the future of the island.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dock paving? If this is to be done, better do it while they have the paving equipment out there for the airport. Getting that stuff out there probably costs more than the asphalt. Paving anything on BBI aint gonna be cheap.
Of interest? Tuscarora Twp (Indian River/Cheboygan county) just railroaded through a paving project in the village completely against the wishes of the majority of the affected property owners. Cost? Maybe a mil. They don't even know yet. To be paid for by property owners in a special assessment district by property owners within it. Never mind they are public streets.

How did they do this? Most of the property owners are seasonal and dont vote in the twp (locally) nor did they have a clue during the smoke and mirrors twp campaign.

First, the twp sent out these questionaires: for or against. Then they sent out a second letter saying the first questionair didn't matter (although most thought they had voted on the issue) The second letter was counted as a yes vote UNLESS the recipients responded against it, in writing. How slippery is this?

And THEN, the votes were weighted by amount of street frontage owned by each property owner in this SA district.

And THEN the twp refused an external audit (Cooked the numbers).

And THEN the whole thing "passed" by a margin of 100' "for" the project.

And THEN the property owners in THE sa district found out about all of this after the fact and stood there scratching their heads/going postal.

Unbelieveable feat of under the table BS engineering. The sum total will increase property values = ^property taxes. Tuscarora already has more tax revenue than any other twp in the county, just keep it coming and keep on wasting it.

$1000 out of my pocket, 45' of street frontage. :censored:

Lets hope the BBI Twp board has some ethics if they have any paving projects under the table
Dave Cox
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the question I'm asking myself is, what would be the advantage of paving the dock area? (I'm not being a smart alec, I really don't know the answer.)
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Cox wrote:
I guess the question I'm asking myself is, what would be the advantage of paving the dock area? (I'm not being a smart alec, I really don't know the answer.)

So it can break into little pieces, require tar and patching and constant maintence, look like hell and have to be torn up/replaced in 10 years.

Who gets paid to do this?

I AM being a smart alec.

( I can't think of any good reason, either).
In my eariler post, I didn't mean to imply the BBI twp board was unethical. I meant tthe tuscarora board put new meaning to "slippery". And this is what happens when no one is paying attention.
Dave Cox
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for educating me on the values of paving, Conis. LOL #LOL
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paving at the airport is supposed to start midweek.

The causeway will be paved before the crew leaves the island. This came from a discussion with Curt this afternoon. He did not mention the parking area. Shrug

http://www.bridge-view.net
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:

The causeway will be paved before the crew leaves the island. This came from a discussion with Curt this afternoon. He did not mention the parking area. Shrug

Not sure what the "causeway" is??? Referring to the area between the road a ferry dock?

C
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis wrote:
Not sure what the "causeway" is??? Referring to the area between the road a ferry dock?

C

Yes, the entrance to where the ferry docks.

http://www.bridge-view.net
islendbird

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
islendbird

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Islendbird
thanks for letting us know about the St. Ignace news

I cannot see why they had to pave down there at the dock ..

Question Question Question Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: DOES Reply with quote

no more comments on the paving ????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just returned from BBI.

The "causeway" and parking area have been paved up to the road.

And this would be bad because of ?

The airport runway is wrapped. Crews in there putting in runway lights.

They call it progress.

C
wine country
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Politics and paving Reply with quote

Wow sounds like Pandoras box is officially open...A nice paved parking lot at the township dock...The question will be for now and 2006 why did they stop there...The complaints of too much dust will fuel the debate for more road paving in the future with more visitors traffic...I now can only think of one thing and that is a song that goes like this (THEY PAVED PARADISE AND PUT UP A PARKING LOT).........I guess the poll question that had Pristine environment in the lead has suffered a fatal blow.... Sad Just my 2 cents worth... Kevin.....
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the paving of the dock area as a catastrophic blow to the quality of the island. Nor do I believe the rest of the island roads will be paved anytime soon. Asphalt paving is huge expensive and double HUGE expensive on BBI because of logistics.

Look at it this way: They already had this huge paving equipment on the island to do the airport. The cost of getting it out there on barges wasn't cheap. I don't know it you saw it or not but it actually makes the asphalt on site, which is the only way it can be done.

The area around the dock is probably the heaviest traffic area on the island with cars and freight coming and going for moths on end. That area can also be a muddy mess in the spring. As long as they already had the equipment on the island, why not make this minimal improvement while it could be made?

The improvements to the airport will have a FAR greater impact on the island than the dock paving. If you haven't seen the new paved airstrip complete with runway lights... you will. And you may S*** you pants when you do.

"If you build it, they will come". You can't stop progress. Like it or not, ready or not.

C
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't stop progress but you CAN manage it , direct it toward a collective goal/vision, and even think about it in terms of cause and effect.... ready? or not?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: go Reply with quote

Happy Happy Happy
I liked that Jess !
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! it is something that I whole heartedly believe in! Very Happy and believe that it can be accomplished on BBI if we all work together #Big smile
leebird
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Well said Jess Reply with quote

I beleive that too. It can be done!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JessKidder wrote:
you can't stop progress but you CAN manage it , direct it toward a collective goal/vision, and even think about it in terms of cause and effect.... ready? or not?

I personally do not have any ability whatsoever to manage policy or change on BBI. I only pay taxes.

"you" being the operative word. In this case "you" is the BBI zoning/planning boards. They make the rules, regs and policy, don't they?

Those in office have the power to make change(s). In big government, money=power. In a perfect world, we would all sit around a big table and form a collective vision, then vote on it. It seldom works like this with government calling the shots.

I really don't know all that much about BBI politics (nor am I sure I want to) except to say different tribes have different agendas and interests.

They ought to hold a "Survivor" series on BBI?. I would watch THAT! The best part would be where a banished "stabbed-in-the-back" tribe member stomps on to the ferry all teary eyed... never to return again. "What a sucker!" The possibilities would be endless!
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh conis! have a little faith!

"You must be the change you with to see in the World" - Ghandi
Wink
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JessKidder wrote:
oh conis! have a little faith! Wink

I didn't mean to sound condesending or do any bubble bursting. I have "faith" although my youthful idealism has been tempered by insight. Among those insights are how local government really works... and why.

Please go back to my post, 4 from the top re the agenda of Tuscarora Twp (which is Indian River) and what has transpired there over the last few mos. I am not implying this is going to happen on BBI, I am using this as an example of what CAN happen and how.

Basically, through some strategic legal manuevering (ethics aside) and with a lot of smoke and mirrors, the twp railroaded through a paving project at a cost which will approach maybe a million $$$. This was against the polled interest of 95% of those directly affected. AND those directly affected will foot the bill within this carefully designed "special asssessment district" Some within this district will pay big $$$ for paving because they are "using" the streets although will not get the streets in front of their property paved.

This is all a crock of unparalleled proportions. Property owners were livid when they found out it "passed". The whole thing is a ploy by the twp to jack up property values even further for the added taxes. Like it or lump it and 95% and livid and lumping it. No one, that anyone seems to know, was in favor of this project. So what. It was the old weighted vote trick that allegedly slid it through.

How did this happen? Legal loopholing for one. The area to be repaved is probably 80%+ seasonal vacation homes. Those property owners do not vote in local elections and cannot vote board members out of office. Bascially, the Tuscarora twp board members represent the original-untouchable Indian River good old boys club. They call the shots.

How is this so much different than the seasonal/resident ratio on BBI?

All this stuff happens because it can... and we, as property tax payers, find out about it after it is a done deal. That is how it REALLY is. Whining and protesting is moot, after the fact.

As I said, I have no authority or privledge or whatever, whatsoever to change (or stop change) doodly in Tuscarora or BBI twps. I either like it, lump it, or sell out and go where I do like it.

Faith? Lets hope the BBI stewards share the same common vision as the majority of Islanders. They won't please everyone, that is for sure.

I occasionally attend my local twp board meetings . This an entirely different situation . The board members are elected by the majority of local residents and if they screw up, they are outta there. This is the way it should work and does work in most places. Needless to say, we don't have much controversy or any railroaded paving projects on the agenda. There is seldom much at all on the agenda except the pledge of allegence and the treasurers report. Just the way I like it.

If someone wants to get involved in efforts that do make a difference, Local is where to begin. Be prepared to get your feet muddy and maybe nose bloody. This where changes get made or stopped.

C
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Paving Reply with quote

I love it when people call the paving of the dock area "progress". The first thing that attracted me to BBI is the lack of Progress. I like the speed limit at 25... forever. I like the backwardness of the dusty roads. I like the slow pace that contrasts with the hurry up mentality of jobs, fast food, and timelines. I cannot see one advantage for this move. If people want blacktop, stay home. There's plenty down state. Keep BBI backwards and they will come to travel the gravel, country roads, meandering through woodlands and along azure waters. The blacktop at the dock should be stopped where it now lies. Finally, I do not believe it is backwards at all to love a simpler way of life, which BBI offers to those seeking an escape from the rat race.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: The Island Reply with quote

I gotta go with John on this - The things that kept me coming back are changing - and they will continue. I always loved the sounds of the wind through the trees, waves splashing on the beach and the sound of a telephone NOT RINGING!! - I always thought that if you don't want a place to grow too fast, you didn't do the sort of things that just happened - I stood at the end of the new runaway and could almost hear the sounds of $$$$$ landing as I looked down it!! The most interesting stories that I have heard in my 36 years of coming up is the ones about the ways people lived years ago and there hardships of just living there and raising a family. I had a chance to talk to Jim Vospers for a while when I was up, and listening to him and Everett Jewell talking about growing up together, you almost want it to go back to those days so you could experience it yourself. Never pass up a chance to talk to either one of them - they are more than happy to talk about old times - They are the true historians of Boblo and someday their stories will be gone!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: