Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Politics and Paving
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A philosophical treatise on change:

Sadly...You can't stop progress. Progress is like dammed up water. Sooner or later it comes over the top.

Don't we all look back and remember when things seemed simpler and less cluttered? The same as we will do 10-20-30 years from now? We tend to forget all the nasty stuff and hard times.

I can't say BBI is immune to change. I can say there isn't all that much that CAN be changed. Or Needs to be changed. Some have been coming for much longer than myself. How radical have the changes really been? Or have they actually been detrimental to the ambience of the island? BBI is stuck in a time warp between Upper/Lower Michigan... which is just why so many love the place.

I have said this already: The airport represents HUGE change forthcoming... "maybe". Island access. This access is important to year rounders. But what are those who fly in... going to access? Hitchhike to Hawks or the Tavern? BBI isn't like Mackinaw or Beaver Island with a "bustling town" and commerce and infrastructure and all of that... I am trying to make a point here and not doing very well.

Big $$$$ coming down the runway? Maybe... but then what? Not much is what. I think BBI is status quo for some time. And this works for me.

Maybe a year+ ago, I wrote about what happened on Drummond when Monahan came in and started developing in the 80s. The got tired of his toy and bailed... leaving a polarized island behind. Never the same since. Prior to all of this, Drummond was maybe much like BBI is now... Laid back and undeveloped. I used to frequent Drummond a lot prior to Monahans invasion and haven't been back, since. I suppose this would make me a BBI refugee?

There is ONE major difference between the two islands: ZONING. When Monahan came in, Drummond was unzoned. Anything went and there was no way to stop him... Thank your lucky stars Monahan didn't set his sights on Bob Lo, back then.

Go back to those posts. I don't want to go back to all of this again. What has happened on Beaver with the Bay Harbor$$$ influx is another example. Fortunatley that situation is more under control.

So...

C

PS. I HATE THE PHONE. I don't realize how much I hate it until I come back home... I leave my cell phone OFF while on the island. Irritating.
islendbird

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lines never stopped me from parking like an idiot.. Laughing The parking there is set up strange anyway.. Not enough room for the loading/unloading process..
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angle lines eh? Not sure I like that. That means you would have to drive your car at an angle. All crooked like.

I see that uptown angle parking stuff and it makes me think I am in Petosky or something. All the BMWS all lines up at angles, glistening in the sun!

WHOA!!! INSIGHT!!! I'll bet this is a ploy of the Cheboygan City Councel, a diversion tactic! Them thinking we will now all be ornery about it and crashing into each other... driving into the lake, right off the ferry ramp... Like a BBI demolition derby! Who knows!

We're not buying it! We'll just keep on parking straight, as usual, as a protest?

I'M going radical. I'm gonna go park out in the road! SO THERE! NANA-NANANA...
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: go Reply with quote

another fun freedom taken away .. parking at the dock ... oh how fun it was !! Smile c..... no matter what... it will still be hectic .......... isn't that part of getting on and off the boat ????? hectic ????

go for it Conis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: I'M going radical. I'm gonna go park out in the road! SO THE Reply with quote

Conis

Been there

Done that

Cost me $50.00
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figures. Going radical has a price.

You should have applied for a radical permit.

C
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: I Reply with quote

Ron I so related to what you said about familes that lived on the island and the hardships they went though .. I lived there as a child and I know that theres many many years before that ..... but I am so thankful I was there in my childhood ... so diffrent then the times now .....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: the Reply with quote

the post above is from a comment Ron Peterson made on Oct 6 or close to that date ..

I am just rereading posts tonight .... and wanted to make a comment about it ..
jarrett rodriguez
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: paving Reply with quote

well i let me tell you there is a lot of work in paving first you got to grad it and that parking lot is big and jess is right i will cost a lot of money that parking lot will take about 2-3 hundred tons of ashpalt or more plus labor shipping the product. its just not worth it. how do i know? welll i work in the ashpalt buisness. preping and grading that lot will take at least a week the ground is real hard. but it has to be broke up to smoth it i just dont think it would be in the islands best interest. thats just my opion thanks for listen to what i have to say
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Politics and paving Reply with quote

Jarrett - You're running a little behind - those were old posts and the work has been done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: