Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Auxiliary Service Co. For BBI ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Auxiliary Service Co. For BBI ?? Reply with quote

Very Happy With all the talk about just one Ferry and possibly more folks commuting by Air... It just seams to me that POSSIBLY BBI could us a dry land transportation co. for people ( People mover ) of some sort.

Laughing This could be anything from a 6 pass van - school bus OR other modes of transportation that could be rented by the day or weekend.. Conis has got be able to come up with something...

Laughing Since we will be building next summer on our property on the West side of the County road, just a bit South of Lafayette point ( across from the Sheriff's house, it used to be state land) I will be on the Island a lot and looking to start a new enterprise. I am very interested in what everyone has to say.

If we only have one boat running, no doubt it will have trips for cars and people, and trips for mostly people.. Think about it.

The key words to this post, are "auxiliary Service co." Possibly not just transportation..

Thanks for your input..[/b] Cool Laughing

Uncle Steve
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although most people provide their own transportation I always thought a service with different modes of transportation would be great.. Little motorcycles, bikes, and mules.. (the all terrain vehicle not a hay burner).

I wish there were a riding stable but the cost would be huge! Smile
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S.

Thats a good one... I could see sort of an island taxi/delivery service. kind of like an intra island "auxiliary" shuttle or something. Might even need two vans? East and west. It is a big island and if a "taxi" had to pick up people at both ends for the ferry,(on or off)... maybe a long ride round trip at 25mph. I am thinking 25 minutes from the ferry, one way, to either end of the island?

Taking a car out there is getting pricy, especially just for a couple of days. I had thought about parking a beater at the dock... Then there are the maintainaince issues, dead batteries, flat tires. I had also thought about parking a beater at camp, where at least I have electricity and a place to work. Anf get there how? hitchhike 3-4 miles with a duffle bag and box of food? And then have to get back to the ferry same way?

How about a monorail or an air drop with parachutes? Too bad they ripped up the old logging railway.
C
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: New BBI business??? Reply with quote

Yo Uncle Steve... Here ya go!

THIS is the business BBI really needs and has been waiting for!
You grab a hunk of land down by the lighthouse and this is gonna
be a slam dunk!

http://www.ats-sonic.com/tieshsm.jpg

Last edited by Conis on Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Fabulously funny PSing! thumbs_up! Twisted Evil
Jo Myers
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: transportation on the island Reply with quote

Uncle Steve,

I think it's a great idea. There are times I have wanted to go to the island but don't want to take the car over just to check on my property and it's too far to walk.

Jo
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks Jo, " Checking on property could be a service as well, including a Mpeg mini movie and a written report.. sent via Internet..
But .. of course that would remove the EXCUSE to visit paradise.. so, probably NOT a GOOD idea.

Uncle Steve
Jo Myers
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Paradise without me.... Reply with quote

Since the Army says I'll be in Japan for the next 3 years I may need the checking service more than the transportation. We had planned to build during the summers but guess that's on hold too. Jo
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummers Jo! Good luck in Japan! There are people who property check.. Mike White will.. Sounds like you might need it.. If you requested it, he could send a picture now and then.. Very Happy
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing See Jo, that's what this site is all about.. Mike would do a fantastic job for you.. If not , Lannie (sp) would get on his case big time..

Will this be your first trip to Japan ? Where will you be stationed ? You should love it.... We did

Uncle Steve
Jo Myers
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Thanks ya'll (been in the south too long) Reply with quote

It's good to know who to call in case I need it. Since there's no buildings on our property yet we hope nothing will happen to it - hope we're not being naive We actually are looking forward to Japan it's just a lot to get used to. We have only been in NC for 15 months and thought we'd be here for the rest of our Army life followed by retirement and atleast part time island life. Since Japan's an island I guess I was just a little off. Uncle Steve we'll be at Camp Zama, have you been? It'll be nice to have the forum to lurk at when I get homesick while in Japan.
Jo
shelby
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo Myers . . . ZAMA, JAPAN? What a jolt to see that name in print! I was stationed at Zama, the former West Point of Japan. The year was 1945. Sixty-one years ago and it seems like yesterday. I quickly moved to WVTR, Radio Tokyo, key station of the Armed Forces Radio Network in the Pacific. This was attached to General Douglass MacArthur's GHQ. Some years ago the station's history was being researched. I was the oldest member of the staff they could find and was asked to write and record a memoir. For the rest of the story visit www.jg3.com/fen/newhouse/shelby.shtml.

Jo, the passage of sixty-one years and the impact of American influence on Japan have brought about tremendous changes in that culture. But I'm convinced you'll find your tour of duty in Japan fascinating. Best of luck!

Shelby
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Jo..... What an opportunity. You will have an experience of your life. And the military is paying. thumbs_up! Wonderful for you and yours. 3 years will be over before you know it. My cousin does a lot of work there with her company and she says the people are great. While we served we never had the chance to go anywhere except NC (and of course Viet Nam-2 different times) So take advantage of this and be postive. When are you leaving? Your property will always be there at BBI waiting for you. Again "Good Luck" I Love NC and I still miss it! Maybe someday we just may move there, somewhere away from the city but not to far..... Smile
rylo34
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: The Transportation Solution!! Reply with quote

Very Happy After weeks of careful thinking your neighbor to the North Has found the total solution to your transportation dilemna.

http://www.exn.ca/FlightDeck/News/story.cfm?ID=19990512-55

Check it out... A fleet of these on the mainland are all that you will need. Sink the ferry you wont even need that!! These are supposed to cruise at 100 mph! It won't take long to get from one end of the island to the other. What about a quick trip to Cheboygan or a sunset ride over Big Mac. You could even make a quick trip up to Cedarville for Dinner if we still have a restaurant by then!! Just think if you stay at the watering hole to long...have no fear... up and over those pesky trees that have a habit of getting in your way on the road. The possibilities are endless.
If BBI air space gets busy a small control tower for Conis should handle the problem!!

Enuff.... Winter is getting a bit long........... Rolling Eyes

Rylo34
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines on order. It was supposed to be here a week ago. I bought the turbo 4500 dxp 7 model. 450 mph at 450mpg.

Ill be whipping together a control tower ASAP. You need one? I got plans.
C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: