Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Attn Deer Hunters! Part II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the play last week in Port Huron. Funny.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sons love the part when the wild looking guy expells the huge amount of gas from his body!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bknoll:

You seen these? I saw one set up at Jays, looks pretty slick, easy to set up and well built. Perfect for around here, in the cattail swails.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=215573

C
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis.....First the B in Bknoll is for Brad, so feel free to go with that. I've seen those stands. Are you thinking of buying one? They look sturdy enough to keep up all year. At 140 lbs., I don't think it would be something that you would lug in and out. I have a student who bought one for their property and he loves it.

I don't have any open areas that I hunt so I don't have one in my collection. I like climber stands. I have the API Bowhunter and the Summit Broadhead Backpacker. Both have open fronts which I like for bowhunting. Takes a while to get used to if you are used to the stand up sit down method of climbers as you can't do that with these. You basically put your weight on your elbows and forearms and pull up the lower section with your feet. One downfall of these climbers is you need to have a tree with no limbs. I solved that problem last year as I bought the climbing sticks by Ameristep. These are in four sections. I set those up and then I just pull up my climber and use it just like a platform stand. By the way, I got a great deal on the Summit last year on ebay. Brand new, still in the box and 50 bucks cheaper than Cabellas!

Hey Conis....Check this baby out! www.libertyarchery.com
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bknoll wrote:
Hey Conis....Check this baby out! www.libertyarchery.com

Whew! High tech? That sucker would be awsome in a bar-fight? "you want summa dis?"

Yeah. been eyeballing that tripod stand. Also eyeballing my somewhat depleted wallet and not seeing the $300 it would take to buy it and still have any $ left to hunt up north.

I got a perfect place for it. 300' dam on my place (pond) which is about 8' higher than the cattail marsh below it. That stand would get me up to close to a land-sat observation? A bunch of deer moving through there. Good luck seeing any of them.

Sportsmans guide is out until 11/15, anyway.

Update: Like a fool I called Jays. Three in stock, in the box, ready to rock.
Through "arrangements" I have in doing business with them, $20 below sportsman guide. 90 days same as cash. And I just happen to be headed up that way, this afternoon. I think I am in trouble here. Only live once? I REALLY NEED ONE, REALLY REALLY BAD!

Conis/Terry
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis.....You might want to price the doghouse blind when you are at Jay's because it sounds like you will be residing there soon!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK BRAD. This was all your idea (me going up to Jays) And I am going to hold you accountable for however this turns out.

Update #2: Well… I made it to Jay's yesterday afternoon and picked up my tripod tower blind. Some assembly required (14 hours plus a masters in engineering). I figured I can pay for it by changing my car insurance to Geico and shutting off the furnace this month. No problem there. I also got a deal on some camo boxer shorts. This however doesn’t appear to be the end of my required equipment acquisition. It has been a sleepless night.

Jays is having a two for one introductory sale on the 2005 new and improved model 2200 deer-bots. They walk, they talk (in deer talk), they emit scent, they mate (simulated of course). Fully remote controlled and programmable. Just pop a CD in the side and watch the games begin. I can see a distinct advantage over the old non-interactive 2004 models.

I am thinking a buck AND a doe. Stationed out in the corn field, in “pick-up” mode.. Translated from “Deer” to English, it would go like this:

Doe: “ Hey babe, awesome rack you got there. You are looking pretty horney (get it). Do you work out? By the way, my name is Bambi…” (que: hit doe-in-heat scent emit, remote button)
Buck: “My name is Stud Buckley, Wadda say we go over by that oak and make more Bambis?” (que: hit buck-in-rut scent button).

I think I’ll stop here. I hear the beta progamming has an unresolved glitch causing a loop in simulated mate-mode. Have to walk out there, shut them off and reboot the buck. (which he doesn’t really appreciate)

Kind of like the bar at 1am/Saturday night. I can see other bucks pouring out of the woods in a stampede! If it doesn’t work out or gets out of hand, I can always shoot them from my tower blind?

I’ll make a movie of it! A definite box office smash! A wild-side romance epic! I am going to call it: “Unrebooted” (XXX)

C

I need more coffee. I am headin' for Jays...
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Stop Conis Stop .. Forest Gump said he would help you monitor those nice "Deer Things"

Uncle Steve
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful Conis......One is very succeptable to buying just about anything when entering a store like Jay's. Our senses get overloaded, things start getting fuzzy, you get light-headed and next thing you know, you are out $1,000!! Kind of like going to the grocery store when you are hungry.

Camo undies can come in very handy for those late trips to the one-holer. Good to blend in with the environment so the things that go bump in the night don't get ya!

I actually bought a remote controlled scent disperser from scent logic. I can sit in my stand and hit a remote control button and let out the doe scents that say "come and get me big boy". Seems to work good during this chase phase right now. Haven't landed a big boy yet but you never know.......just need some more gadgets to help get it done!!
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those poor deer haven't a chance!

camo undies???? unreal.....MEN!
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like this thread...http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112302
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, a couple of our own Michigan boys don't like trapping.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113790
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bknoll wrote:
Apparently, a couple of our own Michigan boys don't like trapping.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113790

Clueless. Many years ago, I was fishing in "remote" Canada and came across this old trapper-geezer with about 200 beavers in the back of his pickup. This was in MAY. Being paid by the Canadian govt to take beavers out for the damage they were creating, $10 a head. More than he would have made trapping for pelts. It wasn't a political issue, it was an economic, tree hugger issue. Fur prices were nill, not in vogue, no demand. So instead of managing a renewable resource at a profit, the govt had to manage a problem instead. and tax $$ to do so. Clueless.

If every human was removed totally from this state, it would take 1000 years for a true natural-balance wilderness state to exist. This is hypothetical, obviously. While we are here,(obviously) it is our duty to manage wildlife, as best we can, to co exist with it. It all boils down to management versus a walt disney fantasy/movie.

I am sure this will PO some. I am defining things. Alaska and many northern reaches of Canada are still wilderness. In Mchigan, there are some parts more wild and less spoiled. (including BBI). Enjoy them. They are NOT wilderness. There is no true "wilderness" in Michgan as of the last 75 years. If there is a road in, and camping or camps, or hiking trails, or human intervention of any kind.... it isn't wilderness.

I suppose it is all relative? BBi would be considred "wilderness" campared to say Detroit. This woulld be equal to comparing Northern Ontario to BBI.

I can barely imagine what a profound mess this state would have on it's hands were it NOT for game management, sold by the state as recreation. Called conservation and all it entails.

C
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

I decided to give up my dads old wussie 30/30 and get me ontoit with one of these. Shoot 'em, gut 'em, fillet 'em all in one shot. Anything left is chili hamburger. Why mess around?

http://photos.imageevent.com/fiveshooter/misc//50%20cal%20handgun.jpg (photo) revolver using a 50 cal browing machine gun round. Just a tad big... but awsome-sporty!

http://home.comcast.net/~kudoo3/John_shooting_600_nitro.MOV (quicktime movie) guy shooting a .600 nitro express pistol (elephant gun/pistol) This is a ROYAL HOOT! Kind of hard to hang ontoit?

I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ONE!!!

C
Island Dreamer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: The Deer Hunt Reply with quote

Dont think to many buks will be taken this year off our island. Spent alot of time there this year and didnt see alot of sign. Last year at this time you had to dodge them as you drove down the road at nite. Was there for 2 weeks in October and they didnt even hit the bait pile. (Rocky Road)
tattoobryan
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Hunt to keep meat on the table Reply with quote

Tavern Tennant makes more sense than a lot of people that I've actually spoke with about hunting/baiting. I have never baited a deer, but if I saw one at a baited area I would kill it for the table. Bowhunters way back when were not real welcome on the island, as were doe permits. Meat for the camp/table should not be an issue of any kind, and that certainly makes you a responsible hunter.
Island Dreamer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be real nice if the DNR would step in and make the island deer hunt a 6 point or better. You would think you were back in the good old days when you actualLy seen deer in the woods w/horns. It would be the perfect place for them (DNR) to try it out and see how it works. I think a few years of this policy sure would make our hunts here on the island worth it..... Go ahead and take your shots, Im ready...
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan
The post you are refering to was made by bknoll, Brad. Tavern Tennant is his status. I realize you are new and your posts are surely welcome, so don't take this the wrong way, I just wanted to pass that on to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island Dreamer.....What you are reporting is really what many are saying all over the state. Huge acorn crop this year has kept the deer close to that food source. If you aren't already, I would say hunt the hardwoods.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis....I about fell off my chair watching the video! Did you see the look on the guys face!?!?! My question about the first pic is.....does the lovely model come with the gun???
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bknoll wrote:
Conis....I about fell off my chair watching the video! Did you see the look on the guys face!?!?! My question about the first pic is.....does the lovely model come with the gun???

Question #1: I saw a .600 nitro express "bullet". About 7" long and an inch dia. Looked to me like the bullet went one direction and the pistol, the other and pretty much equal /opposing speeds.That guy is lucky his face is still in one piece. Kids... don't try this at home.

Question #2: I am not sure which is larger. The revolver or the gal holding ontoit.

I am going to give a handgun a try this season. Been out there practicing. It wont be a .600 nitro, however

There is a HUGE acorn crop this year. Statewide. Same for hickory, beech. Also have seen bumper wild apple crops. Deer are spread all over the place with plenty to eat. 24/7. Big+ for the deer survival over the winter, bad for those trying to bait them in.

Over the summer, I saw plenty of deer along Rocky Road including a couple med 4-6pt bucks. Many of the apple trees behind the tavern were loaded, as well. Plus it has been really warm all of sept and much of october. The deer are around but laying low all day, moving at night with plenty to eat. Unless we get some snow/bitter weather, this is apt to be another slow rifle season, statewide.

C
islendbird

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this one. St. Ignace News Nov. 3,2005 Looking Back.
"90 Years Ago, Nov.4,1915
Bois Blanc Island-John LaPrairie,former treasurer and lumberman of Bois Blanc Island and A.L. Todd of the same place each own a drove of a hundred hogs,more or less which during the summer season are allowed to run wild about the island. Every now and then they would round up their droves to see how they were coming, and every time they did so they found that the number had decreased. The mystery of what was becoming of the porkers was solved last week when Thomas Anderson,Patrick Dufina, and Fred Vieu were discovered in the act of skinning a good sized hog which they had shot and were in the act of preparing for market. Complaint against the three was made and they were arrested and brought to this city Saturday by Deputy Sheriff Charles Bible and placed in the county jail."
I wonder what the zoning board would think of this.lol
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing worse that a hog rustler is a hog wrestler!? Laughing
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor guys.....hogs running wild on the island would mean "FREE BACON" to me too!!!
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis or anyone else....which road is officially called "Rocky Road"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: