Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Attn Deer Hunters! Part II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bknoll wrote:
Conis or anyone else....which road is officially called "Rocky Road"?

"Rocky Road" isn't an official name. it is actually orchard lane (or some name like this on the maps). Next road east of the tavern, right at the bend. Heads in north and ends up in Snow Beach sub after a mile or so of cedar. It is nicknamed rocky road for obvious reasons

Parallell to RRoad is the old orchard behind the BBtavern. On Rocky road is the famous Spray camp (second up), haunted by Ron Peterson, The BB Bungle-Lo, 4th up, (conis) and many more, some more infamous, than others. On a clean moonlit night, you can see Ron running up and down Rocky Road in a tutu. He is sort of a fashion trend setter in the area. Even the coyotes are amazed at this specticle.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Trail cam pic Reply with quote

Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Rebutle!!!! Reply with quote

I don't think a TuTu will fit me anymore - Do they make a Three Three -
Conis - I still want to see you wearing one of those when you play my steel guitar - Just picture those Knobby Knees sticking out from under the guitar - What a fashion statement!!!!!!!! Soon everyone will want one!!
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that little shack at the end of the Rock Road at the Snow Beach end. Doesn't look like anyone has been there for years. What is the history on that place?? I always take that road when I'm heading back to the cabin that I go to just past Snake Island.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that deer on steroids?? Are you going to try and pop him, Conis?
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Wilderness - the definition Reply with quote

I agree that there ain't much, if any left. It used to be that one portage in got you close, because most people were too lazy to walk or paddle.

I have no right to tell others how to behave on their own property. I do try to defend mine.

I've never known what to do about people who toss garbage into my woods. One summer there was a woman who would walk out on my beach every morning and smoke. Every morning the rocks were littered with cigarette butts. I didn't mind her enjoying the beach. She didn't have a beach. But to despoil it??? I never knew what to do?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wilderness - the definition Reply with quote

Charlie Trie wrote:
I
I have no right to tell others how to behave on their own property. I do try to defend mine. I don't think many would disagree

I've never known what to do about people who toss garbage into my woods. One summer there was a woman who would walk out on my beach every morning and smoke. Every morning the rocks were littered with cigarette butts. I didn't mind her enjoying the beach. She didn't have a beach. But to despoil it??? I never knew what to do?

I it were me, I would have politely asked her ONCE not to litter. I don't think that is being rude or over the top.

I think being a slob is genetic or something. If a slob's grandparents were slobs, that explains it? It is more about lack of respect or simply never having been taught any different. My property (home/blanchard) is bounded by roads on two sides. Twice a year, I walk the roads and pick up 2-3 trailer loads of crap. All of it having come out of some slobs car windows (plural).

Last spring, on my acres on the Pigeon, we cleaned up a whole pickup load of crap= washing machine, matresses, drywall scraps bottles that some moron dumped on what he assumed was state land? That or leave it? someone had to clean it up and since it landed on my property, I was elected..

And then and the twp meeting I hear from this gal " We used to go back there to fish and swim... and now the gates and signs are going up..." (wonder why?) I explained to her she and family were still welcome as were all the other locals who freely used that land for decades/generations. AND that the gates went up to prevent dumping and vandalism... AND if it continued and I found out who was responsible, it was really gonna hit the fan. So spread the word. No problems since.

And it will probably happen again and I will have to clean it up again.

Bunch of slobs.

C
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bknoll wrote:
Is that deer on steroids?? Are you going to try and pop him, Conis?

Naw, Let the twinkie deer go. I am holding out for a big one...
Island Dreamer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad every hunter on the island didnt hold out for the big one.....
I know the acorn crop is large this year, and the deer are hidding out where the acorns are more plentiful. The bottom line is there are fewer deer this year than past. Go shine where all these deer are supposed to be eating these acorns and let me know where there all at. Ive drivin around the island in all sorts of vehicles on all the trails and roads, and cant seem to find them. (I hope youre right bknoll)
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts:

Unless the deer on BBI have taken a huge coyote hit... They are there but you just aren't seeing them. I honestly doubt that hunting pressure on BBI has any huge impact on the BBI herd.

If weather trend holds up, this is gonna be one-slow rifle season, like last.
Deer are lazy. They won't move unless they need to. They won't need to unless they are hungry. They are laying down. Eat some... sleep mostly, build fat and reserves for winter.

6-8" of snow will change all this. They are there, trust me. Been there all summer and didn't evaporate. Just laying back and enjoying the food for now.

I am downstate (midstate-farm country) right now. Same old thing. Went in to the local party store for supplies and bought a bag of beets as 2am trail cam lure. Ran into a friend with his pick up bed half filled with shell corn. Wa wa wa. Deer aren't eating corn, beets, apples carrots... not seeing any, must not be any. Been 50-60-70 degrees every day/night.

Tell ya what. This area is not at all the same as BBI, but deer are deer and act the same. Our season is ONE DAY... the opener when there are a lot of hunters in the woods moving them. After that they go noctunal and you can sit there all day/night and think there isn't a deer within 50 miles.

We have 5 weekday openers for every 2 weekend openers. The herd numbers build for 3-4 years and get cut back every 3-4 years when openers hit weekends. averages out.

I am old school. The deer are there... You aren't going to see them until winter. Winter seldom comes rifle/deer season, like it once did. Bow hunters have the advantage of the rut when deer move. If it weren't for that, they would see less dood'ly squat than the rifle hunters.

I preduict a very slow, rifle season this year, just like last.

'08-'09. weekend opener.

C
Island Dreamer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Conis youre cabin is lookin real nice.. We drive by it often.
Were farther down same side of path. Last Year earlier in the spring and summer before the acorn & apples dropped we would drive in on a
Friday nite ferry and have to dodge the deer especialy by the apple orchard. This year we can go for a ride in the evening and stay out w/spot lite and only see a few deer. I hope your right... Ive seen the small 4 & 6 pointers in the yard a couple of times this year. Ive got a feeling the coyotes might be getting thick. Maybe we should all take a coyote this year.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment on the siding fix up. The upgrade was brutal.

How far up RR are you, past Jim Hutchinson? Only that little blue camp past the powerline trail (my side) and the A frame, before Jim..

"Maybe you should take a coyote?" wackem and stack em. I am no coyote lover. They have their place "in nature" but then again... I live out in east BFE and have had it with them. I'll quit before I really say what I think. Give me a .600 nitro, a six pack and a bunch of coyotes.

You might be right? Coyotes on the + and deer going down. It will be a one year, two year equalization.

I think the deer are there. Fall and they are living large, you aren't seeing them nor is anyone else. Laid down, laid back, being low profile and lazy until the snow...

C
Island Dreamer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same side of road as you 2 cabins down. Brown w/garage. kitty corner from Jim. Both self employed and fortunately get to spend alot of time up there. (Never shot at a coyote before)
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island Dreamer wrote:
Same side of road as you 2 cabins down. Brown w/garage. kitty corner from Jim. Both self employed and fortunately get to spend alot of time up there. (Never shot at a coyote before)

Duh! Forgot about that/your place kind of back in there before Jims. You been working on things, too! I think we need to have a discussion and get stuff dialed in. I hope to be up around 18th, to "hunt"... and give Barb/BBItav a few bucks for the hoot.

We will discuss coyote "management". I don't want to offend anyone on BBI.

Greetings previously unknown mystery neighbor!

C aka Terry
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: To Post or Not To Post, THAT is the question. Reply with quote

I agree that the number of ignorant, weekend, once-a-year, gotta git me some "horns", shoot anything that moves, *cough* hunters *cough cough*, are increasing rapidly. And, it's not just on BBI, the problem is increasing all over the state, especially on public land.

Opening day gun deer season two years ago, I went hunting on state land with my husband, son and daughter. Hubby and son were sitting in tree stands. Me and my daughter found a spot 100 yards away up over a ridge. We were in our chosen spots well before light.

I spotted another hunter up on a hill, and flashed my flashlight to let him know we were there. 15 minutes later here comes another guy, walked right past us and stood by a tree maybe 20 yards in front of us. I flashed my light at him too. But he stayed!! 30 minutes or so later, just as it's getting light, "prime time", here comes two more. *sigh*

Finally, all seems relatively quiet, until BOOM BOOM BOOM, all around us, sounded like a war zone! Two bucks - one spike and one decent 6 point come right past my daughter and I. The bigger one had been shot. It ran into a little swail of woods 50 yards away. I could hear it thrashing around, making this wounded sound. I kept waiting for the person that shot it to come looking for it, but no one ever did! I was scared to death to move or I would've gone over there and put the poor thing out of it's misery. Eventually, the guy up on the hill I flashed earlier walked down in there and did the right thing. He deserved to harvest that deer, since the idiot that shot it first didn't even bother to go look!

I found out later from my husband my son saw the first guy shoot that buck. The idiot was standing next to a tree 10 yards from my son. He told the guy "hey I think you got him". Startled him too, he didin't even know my son was up there. The guy says "naa, I missed him" and walked away.

The next day we decided to try a different area. My daughter and I were sitting in a blind, on the edge of a large field of grass. Some yahoo started shooting blindly and one of his bullets landed 10 ft. away from us. Scared the **** out of us. We shouted out, but HE KEPT SHOOTING! I felt like we were sitting in a foxhole in Normandy. We finally got the courage to crawl out of there on our bellies, then ran hunched over back to our truck, hoping and praying we wouldn't be shot!

Those two incidents soured me forever from hunting downstate on state land. At least on BBI the number of hunters per acres of state land ratio is alot smaller. Although it is higher than in past years. When we first starting to come there years ago, I saw maybe 1 hunter the entire week or weeks. Last year we saw alot more hunters with quads and bait coming over on the ferry.

Deer hunting on BBI will always be a cherished family tradition to us. My husband's grandfather, father, uncles and cousins have all been coming there for many years.

We've all taken Hunter's Safety, and are respectful of the woods. I never leave anything behind that wasn't there before (except maybe a gut pile if I'm lucky). Yes, we've bought hunting supplies from Meijer. I don't think shopping there for scent and shells necessarily makes you a "terrible woods(so)men". Mainly though we like Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, Jay's Sporting Goods, local sporting goods stores, etc. A few deals from eBay too.

I hunt deer because I love the taste of venison, the smell of the woods, watching chickadees hopping around on branches above my head, listening to the annoying squirrels, woodpeckers, a few turkeys, watcing the excitement on my daughter's face when she spots a deer, and most importantly, doing something together as a family.

Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to get my two cents worth in. Charlie's comment about "most" hunters being terrible woodsmen rattled my cage.
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, we're coming up Nov. 19th thru the 27th. We'll be on the 12:30 p.m. Plaunt Ferry. And we'll be renting McGeorge's cottage per usual. Maybe we'll see some of you at Hawk's. This will be our second Thanksgiving spent on BBI. I can't wait!! Laughing
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn.....I've heard similar stories from others about hunts just like yours on state land in northern/lower MI. The perception I have of gun hunting on state land has kept me away from trying it. Glad you guys made it out alive and good luck with your hunt on the island. Let us know how it goes.
Island Dreamer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well be up around the 20th Conis. Stop in and say hi, coffees on.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island Dreamer wrote:
Well be up around the 20th Conis. Stop in and say hi, coffees on.

And vice versa! See how things fit together as far as dates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lynn. you couldn't pay me enough to hunt state land. About a 10/1 hunter to deer ratio... and those hunters would fit charlies description.

If I want to shoot deer, I stay home. If I want to hunt deer, I head north. I usually do both.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have never hunted boblo. I have hunted the UP and Cheboygan county on/off for 20 years. A whole different ballgame than midstate. I would think boblo would be a tough place only because there is high hardwoods and cedar swamp. Choose one or the other. Making even harder is the fact that it is hard to see activity on runs. All the gravel, no hoof prints.

I did see a lot of run activity and sign around the orchard, in september. Apples on the ground, obviously drawing deer. Between my camp and the orchard, it is semi open with grass... heavily used runs there. but when they enter the cedars, no clue. The power-line two track showed a lot of activity. Island dreamer knows exactly where I am speaking of.

The deer are there. But I am guessing they are hanging in the cedars? Maybe they have migrated to acorn patches? Go where the feed is. If it is warm, they are bedded down, that is a certainty.

There have been times I just about stepped on a bedded deer. Never saw it and the deer apparantly knew thought that too. Then they jump up and bolt and scare the **** out of me. Just not in the mood to move unless pushed.

I think this will be a slow season, like last year. Just too warm. Too much food. Guess we'll see?

Why does a deer cross the road? Because the chicken did.

C
Island Dreamer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I do know where that spot is. Hunted last year on the island for the first time and it was brutal. Came up the 2nd week for the holiday. Never seen a tail or anything else move except birds. I think you have to go out and step on em like you said. Seen a few gut piles though so someone seen em. lol
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island Dreamer wrote:
Yeah I do know where that spot is. Hunted last year on the island for the first time and it was brutal. lol

Im thinking 80% luck, 20% skill and 200% being in the right place at the right time.

I didn't do any better in Cheboygan county last year. All the deer I saw was out of the kitchen window, across the river. A 100% skunk season for everyone in camp. Too warm.
Island Dreamer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the deer are sittin tight well were there, maybe we'll go find em. Do alittle 3 man push or something. Got lucky enough to fly in last winter for 10 days and had 30 or more at a time on the bait piles. Been storeing up food all summer for the deer. We like to watch them run around the yard.
We were picked up at the aairport by a very nic local fella and dropped off at the cabin w/out a vehicle for the entire trip. It was awsome (build fire to servive) When we got there I put hay and corn down right away
Fired up the elec. heaters and climbed on the roof to check the chimney.
Before I got started down there were already deer on the pile. The man who owned this before us built alittle walk-in cooler on the back of the garage. Great place for hay,corn,and pumpkin storage. Hope to hang one in there some day....
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Yeah.

Conis prediction: Last season as slow as it could get, until this season. We need an alberta clipper/blizzard to cover up all the food. Don't hold your breath. Here I am in deer central station and most of the bow hunters have been royally skunked, to date. Doesn't look good. not lacking deer. lacking deer moving... end of story. This season will amount to the first hour of daylight/opener. and 10 minute increments before dark, all the rest of the seaons. good news it will help the herd build numbers.

I remember 1976. -9 degrees with 9=11 inches of snow on the opener. friggen deer stampede. Brutal hunting but thats what it takes.

I'd like to snomo out to BBI this winter. Real doable, just have to get organized.

c
Island Dreamer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart came over to the main land and picked us up one time this past winter. Thought we would never ride a snowmobile across the lake , but we did. It was awsome. Agroup of us guys hunted in the U.P. the year you said got so cold and we almost froze to death. I remember that season well.
islendbird

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told a 170 lb. 8 point was taken by Michael Sears (his first) during bow season this year and his dad got a six point..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: