Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

A suggestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Photo Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
islendbird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: A suggestion Reply with quote

I do not know if this has been suggested or not. But I have been browsing in the photos and see some wonderful photos of the island. How about folks putting them into cards or pics for the walls and selling them online or at Funday Or donating them to the Funday auctions which raise money for the fire department on BBI OR Historical Society, Coast Guard Chapel, etc. A website booth of photos at Funday not nessesarily each individual. Any more ideas?
Stephen & Lori Doughty
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would gladly offer any of our pics to help support the island, but, I would find it disturbing if someone were to use them for their own profit.

I guess there isn't anything that can stop people from downloading and printing though.

S
white+begle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes my grandma has done this for a few years. its fun but not much profit.
white+begle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry. i meant my gramas own pictures that she has taken. my bad.
islendbird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone misunderstood , I meant the owners of the pics setting them up no one else.

Last edited by islendbird on Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: photo copyright Reply with quote

This subject was previously brought up by Susie:

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=633&highlight=copyright+photo

My thoughts are that once posted... it's out there for the entire planet to use.. Keep the image sizes small (like 640x480) so they can't be printed/reproduced and plaster COPYRIGHT on it (in the center). Google can find anything.

If you go to sites offering high resolution (+800x600) photos for sale, they won't offer much more than a low-res sneek peek. Some of the photo sites have full resolution photos on line for viewing = Freebees. If someone from new Zealand rips your photo off. Thats how it went . US copyright laws are hard to enforce outside of the USA.

Just be careful.

I just missed my point: There are some wonderful photos on the BBI site. They should be offered as decent prints.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam and I were just thinking we'd like to purchase some good b/w Island prints for decorating the house. She is giving me a Mac Bridge construction print (ca. 1956) for Christmas, and I'd love to buy some large BBI b/w prints to go with...

It even occurred to me that purchasing b/w photos could support the Historical Society - but I won't be able to set foot in there again until they reopen in the summer.

d.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

In the Mackinaw Crossings "mall" there is a shop which sells old photos, mostly N. Michigan stuff. They have 10/s thousands archived, having bought up nagatives from all over. Don't know if you have ever been in there, but worth a visit. Sell em as photos-only, matted, framed or whatever. I bought two b/w Indian River photos ca 1870s, 11x14, reprinted... off the rack for maybe $30 and had them framed.

Would have to go in there and start digging. May well find some very old BBI stuff? if you don't find what you are looking for, ask and they will go into their database.

Haven't been in there in 4-5 years... a good place to spend a full day!

C
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Great Idea! Reply with quote

I've often thought a calendar with some great photos of the Island would be wonderful to make or try to sell. As far as the copyright thing, well I've had some of my Island photos "borrowed" and used on websites, without my permission and also one site with my permission. They weren't using them to make a profit though, just to promote the Island. So I'm more flattered than anything. I love sharing my photos.

If someone wants to start a project like this to benefit the Island I'd be more than happy to donate any photos they deemed worthy. But not for their own personal gain.
Wink
islendbird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a fine idea, Peggy.. And if anyone has b/w photos that are old and need restoring for framing, Lisa and I do restoration too.. And if there is a BBI shot you like, Dan, and you want it converted to b/w, we can do that... Very Happy
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: BBI CD or DVD? Reply with quote

Another fundraiser suggestion:

I looked into having a Pigeon River Country calander printed last year. Huge expensive in low volume... and add the cost of non sold left overs.

This mornings brainstorm:

How about a BBI CD or DVD photo collection? Many have PCs or DVD-TV players would play a "best photos of BBI" slide show (even with music), maybe include a DIY printable calander on it. It could be updated annually, and CDs/DVDs copies can be made quickly for a few cents and only as needed. Profits to go to fundraiser effort. It could be promoted by displaying high quality prints from photos on the CD. If someone wanted to make prints, off to walmart? OR!!! Prints could be ordered!

I just bought 100 blank Cds at staples for $8. Thinking a BBI CD would sell for $5-$10... pretty good profit.

I think (not sure) a CD can be locked so it can't be further duplicated. Have to look into that.

All very doable. hardly any start up costs. Mostly time to put something together. We just replaced an ancient PC with a new HP that has a cd/dvd burner in it, as most do any more. Whats even cooler is it has a feature which laser etches artwork, title and etc, in color, right on the CD. I haven't had time to play with it much. Real professional looking.

Just another suggestion.
C
islendbird

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several interesting links: ranging from password protection so photos cannot be copied to PC and other software so CDs cant be duplicated.

http://www.watermarker.com/how-to-ptotect-digital-images.aspx

There is a ton of stuff available. Mosty a matter of how someone wanted to set it up and what was made available on a cd/dvd.

C
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
:lol:How about a BBI screen saver ( BBI photos )

Uncle Steve
DawnM
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun to me Smile I thought postcards might go over as well. I looked on Walmart website and saw greeting cards but no post card options Question Would the fundraiser be the 4th of July event at the fire station?
islendbird

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: DVD Reply with quote

That was just a suggestion and one which is still percolating.

I have never "done" a DVD... but I don't think it is rocket science. Done many other media projects. My thoughts about a DVD is that many more folks have DVD players hooked to their TVs than have PCs which are up to date and can play windows media files. In fact. I nkow the new PC we just got will burn DVDs. Haven't experimented with it, yet.

And... cheap to make. If someone copies it, big deal. I guess I see it as a promotional thing for BBI as well as something just to sit and watch and enjoy. It could be used also to sell photographs, tshirts and all sorts of things. Which is another subject. Of course proceeds (after expenses) would be donated. The greatest thing is that it could be updated easily. No need to burn 1000 of them and throw away 900 as obsolete

Photos posted on BBI would be more than adaquate for a DVD. They don't have to be high resolution. Permission to use them, absolute.

I suppose, it will take more idea bouncing as far as what it is intended to be when finished. Other people have ideas, too. Lets see/wait for more input.

C
islendbird

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Selling Island Photos Reply with quote

I was reading back in here on some old suggestions and new ones for Fun Day and the Historical Museum about selling island photos. Well I did this for a couple of years at the Fun Day and did not sell too many. I also sold greetings cards and pictures that I made on the island from my own photos but did not do so well at that so gave up. One year I even made cards of the Historical Museum and they tried to sell them to no avail. I was giving them all the profits too but didn't sell any. I've had great compliments on the cards and photos I made and a lot of people were disappointed when I quit selling them but you can't force anyone to buy something. I guess people would rather just take their own photos. I spent too much time working on them to just sell them for nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Photo Comments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: