Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ambience and Zoning/ Hand in Hand?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than restrictive zoning, I would have positive rewards for low-impact living on the island. I don't think that mere recognition, or back-pats will be enough incentive for preservation.

I'd like to see tax incentives for maintaining wetlands. Property tax abatements for keeping large, undivided, undisturbed shoreline property would send a message.

I'd love to see an architectural review board that espoused my aesthetic, however most islanders would disagree with my taste. I personally think that most new construction on Bois Blanc is Home Depot'esque that's neither interesting, nor respectful of the location. Just cheap econo-box. (Yet, I've seen cottages other places built with off the shelf parts that are inexpensive and elegant.) It's a matter of taste.

Having preserved a large stretch of undeveloped land, I'd hate to wake up one day and find myself zoned out of options because my neighbors who have scarred up their property want to zone me as a park, so they can have their cake, and eat mine too.

Maybe with interest rates going up, and the local auto industry going kaput, the push to build will stop? But I doubt it.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the shoreline on BBI, doesn't most of what is still undeveloped belong to the state? Are there any (or many) large stretches of privately owned shoreline that have not been developed?

If most of the undeveloped shoreline is state land, the most important thing we could do to protect the natural state of the island would be to figure out what must be done to prevent the development of state land, and then pursue that.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rather than restrictive zoning, I would have positive rewards for low-impact living on the island. I don't think that mere recognition, or back-pats will be enough incentive for preservation.

I'd like to see tax incentives for maintaining wetlands. Property tax abatements for keeping large, undivided, undisturbed shoreline property would send a message.

Thats a very interesting approach and probably more realistic than more and more zoning. Getting "eco zoning" in place requires the majority all be on the same page, maybe... and then putting something together that actually works, beyond that. Good luck. (ie the Cheboygan debacle)

The PR act was devised by the state and that was 30 years ago when P.R. frontage was not all that highly valued (by most). That was 30 years ago and things are MUCH different in these times. Land (and waterfront especially) is far more valuable... I believe property owners resist if not resent being further regulated as far as usage. Just a guess. There is absolutely a point where "enough is enough".

Many of these larger undisturbed tracts are being "donated" to the LTC as conservation trusts. I am hardly an expert on how this these trusts are set up. I assume the property goes into a low tax (or no tax) catagory as preserved land and the former landowner gets a lease back with specific usage limits? I suppose it is all on how the trust is written. This is described in detail on the LTC website. I guess I need to go back and review some of this.

The state? Now there's a wild card. Lets assume the state is scratching for every penney it can whip up. I do know they are logging lands that were formerly neglected. Also selling off non contiguous smaller parcels. There is a lot of swapping and wheeling/dealing going on. I don't think that "state land" is at all sacred. Some state land has already been liquidated on BBI.

Somewhere around here, I have a BBI Plat book. Be interesting to see what % of BBI is state owned, the amount of shoreline etc. Sticks in my mind it was something like 60-70% (guessing)...

There are already a number of wetland conservation acts/laws. It is a matter of enforcing those laws already in place. I don't believe building on waterfront is anywhere near as simple as it once was in the "old days". Add to it endangered species. These two things, alone, represent "setbacks" from the waters edge.

I could go on about some of the stunts I have seen pulled on The Pigeon, with landowners bending or simply ignoring the rules. And what it cost them afterward to fix their "oversights", once the DNR got wind.... save this folly for some future edition.

C
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: BBI shoreline Reply with quote

"BBI shoreline mostly state land." What does this imply? This is a common response. Are we saying that we do not have to be vigilant about irresponsible land use because a percentage is State land? I would like to hear from those that use the inland lakes. I know you have seen the two shoreline debacles, one on Lake Mary and one on the east 1/2 of Twin Lakes. These two constructions are what made me open my mouth. I will not candy cover coat it. Both used radical, aggressive clearing and dozing on the land. They do not give a rip about the natural beauty underfoot. They think that viewing the lake is all that matters. No consideration for loss of shoreline natural beauty. Would a tax break encourage better usage? Maybe. We need a knowledgable person to actively pursue this. Would it take an act of congress? or what. Is it possible before the private shoreline is irradicated like the two I mentioned?

What scares me are people that are scared to act. Sitting on our hands fearing the response of islanders that disagree accomplishes their agenda, regardless of the negative impact.

Those that believe trashing the woods (north side Lake Mary, trailors pulled in, major debacle) is acceptable because it is their land is bull. That mess hurts all islanders. The clearing on Echo Lake is shocking! Until that gash appeared, Echo Lake was a 100%, natural shoreline, gem. I'm sure those who did this are very nice people. I'm also sure that they probably never had to offer a property land change plan, or had to even discuss this with a land use review board. Whether something is done on a voluntary basis or a legal basis, land abuse will continue.

Over and over I hear that more zoning rules, more laws, is NOT the answer. If so, then we need all island lovers to unite and offer new folks current land change trends that they may not have considered. This is something I am going to do, I've decided, with or without total agreement. Through the Freedom of Information Act, every person that owns property on BBI can recieve literature that educates, informs, encourages, not only aesthetic approaches to shoreline property changes, but also the biological factors, the impact on the water, the wildlife, etc. BBI needs to lead in this effort. There is no reason that we have to fall victim to mistakes that have been made on almost every lake in lower Michigan. I can see BBI boasting about our natural beauty, 10-20-30 years from now IF..IF...IF...we get our ---- together and practice preservation at every turn.

BBI shorelines are already built up. More prominently exposed "econ-boxes" will not improve the island! Those that want to continue to earn a living on BBI need to upgrade their thinking about how the land changes. (I do not use the word 'development' purposely. The land is already developed, by eons of natural forces) As long as people want to spend time in a secluded, quiet, natural, wild place, BBI will be desirable. When the shores get overrun with giddy urban, summer vacationers that have no clue about the tranquility of nature, this island will lose its appeal. We have what a lot of lakes downstate only wish they could return to.

I love this discussion. This is what we need before any action can take place. I am looking forward to more exchanges.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John;Which Echo Lake are you referring to? East of Wolverine?

Having said all I have to say, twice over... most of it.... I hope my examples have put things into perspective. Hindsight is always much clearer than foresight...

The Pigeon Rivers natural beauty was preserved at a time when it still could be., by those who were forward thinking and understood what would be lost, unless building-development was slowed and controlled. Three decades later, the value of these decisions is much more than obvious. How is the relative unspoiled status of BBI all that much different?

And by contrast... There is the rest of Cheboygan County where every buildable lot on every lake stream or river has about been developed to the max... because it was allowed and minimally regulated. The clock isn't going to run backward...

Bless the LTC. They understand the urgency. They have the resources. They will make a bigger difference than any/all other stops, combined. The effects of the LTCs preservation efforts, can already be seen. They will be appreciated, 30 years from now, by our kids.

Others need to jump in and express ideas/opinions. There is no right or wrong opinion.

C
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Echo Lake Reply with quote

BBI, East 1/2 of Twin Lakes is called 'Echo' Lake and the West 1/2 is called 'Duncan Lake' on some maps. The name 'Echo' is so appropriate. I had my canoe in there 10 years ago on a misty, overcast, foggy, cool day along with a loon family...and their distinctive call "echoing" from the shores.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Conis comments Reply with quote

and by the way, conis, your comments and examples are very powerful. I totally agree.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Is this what we are discussing? Reply with quote

Hmmm.. Never heard "Echo Lake" referred to as part of the E.Twin lakes. But I am forgetful. My favorite is Thompson... maybe because of the loons and the island and ...??? A good place to be lost for a day or week... or a year. I cannot envison Thompson other that as it is. Perhaps the center of the earth?

Can I buy a dozen loons at home depot for ten bucks or do they come with a building permit?? Is this what we are discussing? Or do we need a loon permit?

C

PS The "Echo Lake" East of Wolverine is a piece of crap flooding/carp hatchery/subdivided/cutover ghetto-mess with water in it. 30 years ago, maybe had a loon or two on it. Then it got developed.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Lake Thompson Reply with quote

Hey Conis - I'm not sure if this is true, but I once heard that Lake Thompson is some sort of "Unique", or "believe it or not " status, because it is has an island on a lake on a island on a lake
Don't try to figure that one out at the Bar!!!
C Ya..........Ron
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron.

You must be referring to the isle of Bobloette. Last I heard the DNR sold it to Switzerland for twenty bucks. A 7/11 is planned for April.

C
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that preserving open space and unspoiled natural landscape would be easily accomplished if the township were to buy up properties as they became available for sale.

Since we're back down to one car ferry, why not impose a vehicle license fee of $10 or $20 on each vehicle brought to the island? Then have a yearly license fee for any motorized conveyance (car, truck, 4-wheeler, ATV, etc.) that is operated on county roads?

This is how the road maintenance should be paid for, anyway: pay as you go.
lighthouse
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a violation of state law for the township to attempt to impose any type of fee system on a county road. We would not be able to afford to live here with the lawsuits that would be initiated. If this was a private island then that might be possible.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Tax on vehicles Reply with quote

Charlie - I don't know how many days per year you drive on the island - me, average about 5 - If I pay $2.00 per day ($10.00) - do you think the islanders or frequent visitors could handle it driving 200 - 300 days a year??
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me respond a couple of ways:

1) I'll take your word that it is illegal for a township to impose fees on a county road.

2) You make the point that it would be too expensive for some to go to Bois Blanc if there were an entry fee over and above the price of the ferry.

Which brings me back to my belief that there's little or no real interest in keeping the 'natural state' of the island. The 'environment' has little ability to defend itself in our system. It costs alot to keep the environment clean. And even more to preserve the 'natural state'.

Few are willing to pay the 'real' costs of preservation.

If you look at the tax rolls, you'll see that most who spend the majority of their time on Bois Blanc, file for Homestead Exemption. Which means that idiots like me pay 100% property tax which ends up as a de facto subsidy to those who live there. An excise tax on vehicles and rolling equipment would fairly rebalance the costs.

Those who go to Bois Blanc frequently, impact the wilderness the most. Shouldn't they pay the most?

Isn't this simply a variant of Prisioner's Dilemma?
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Land use Reply with quote

First, Charlie, do not call yourself an idiot. From personal experience, I have found that there are plenty of people that call me an idiot without me adding to it.

The second point I want to address is the notion that there is no interest in keeping BBI's natural beauty intact. I, for one, am very interested in keeping what remains. I am paying money, taxes, for exactly that reason. The first person to tell me to shut up about preserving BBI can pay my taxes. We "ARE" paying for land protection, wise land use, etc.

Third point: What are the "real costs of preservation"? that you are referring too. In my book, preservation pays back dividends.

Fourth point: We all impact BBI. But I feel that either the state, the township or whoever (my lack of knowledge hurts me here) is being way too nice to those that camp on BBI for FREE. Irresponsible campers trash several sites on BBI. Why is this allowed ? Until the township gets a working plan, I say prohibit all camping until it can be properly executed...toilets, trash pickup, limited number of sites, etc. If these costs cannot be arranged, stop all camping. Fine all campers a good chunk of change and wah-la, revenue. Island hospitality does not include messing up the Island.

Fifth point: Explain to us 'idiots' what exactly is "Prisoners Dillema"

I loved reading your posts. There is a lot of knowledge there. If you want to try, without spending a lot of cash, join me and others to see if we can affect change for the better.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add this web-site. This will be helpful to those that want to affect change: http://www.mlui.org/toolkit.asp

I'm just starting to study it. Good Luck.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Elmer Engler, I agree 150% on your fourth point. It seems that when we have to pay for whatever, we seem to appreciate it more and want to take care of it better, no matter what it is we are paying for. So now there will be some money to cover the cost of cleaning up the site-sites of those that leave it trashed. The money for the sites could also help provide these sites with things that are needed in and around public camp sites.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to address the state about the campsites.. They are not regulated by the township; although the township could make recommendations.. Smile
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Campsites Reply with quote

Am I to assume then that the campsites are on State Land? What recommendations can the township make to improve the situation?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: CAMPERS SUCK! Reply with quote

So... we are thinking this is the campers fault? Get REAL. Just maybe, they come to BBI for exactly what we are discussing. To be away from “it” and to enjoy what needs to be preserved?

Many moons ago… we use to drive the 400+miles up to a place in Kewenaw (sp) County where we could camp on Lake Superior… be away from others… NOT in some cheesy- managed park or SF campground with “fellow campers” jammed in 40’ away. What a beautiful spot it was! Listen to the waves at night… then the smell and morning chill of Superior… such happy and fond memories. Others camped there too and when we left, we cleaned up our mess plus anything overlooked by previous campers. The last time we took the time to drive up there, it was blocked off and posted NO CAMPING! Heart broken, we found a place for the night and moved on… never able to return to that place again….

Some SLOB MORON had spoiled things for everyone else. Isn’t how that always seems to go? Likewise I feel fortunate that I am old enough to have enjoyed these experiences in Michigan. Our kids won’t?

It seems like this subject was brought up last summer… some idiots left a fire burning on the North Shore. What about the other 2000+ that didn’t leave fires...and cleaned up their camp? Might camping, unhindered, “for free” be part of BBI worthy of preserving? Something left of “the old island” for future generations to enjoy just as their parents, and many on this site, have? An annual adventure?

My friends… there is a MAJOR difference between camping... and a campground.

Lets say… toilets and a well and dumpsters and all the campground amenities were installed on the north shore… something to warrant charging a fee… whom are we trying to attract to the island? Low impact family campers… or motor home “hook-up campers”. This is state land. It is owned by everyone in the state. What is the specific reason some of these out of the way, state-owned “gem spots” shouldn’t be available to everyone? BBI ain’t a private island and some need to get with this concept. Managed SF campgrounds fall short of “natural”. What is it about BBI that is to be preserved? Is this what we are discussing? Turn it over to the state and let them make a bigger mess of it?

BBI needs a hook-up SF campground. Is it going to make money? Probably not. Take a motor home/fifth wheeler to BBI and do what? Take the kids to the non existing amusement park? It would be a one-shot overnight visit to do ? Campground campers don’t come to “camp”. They come to hook up... to whatever.

Charge the campers to pitch a tent on the north shore? The state already does this with a “camping permit” which is a couple bucks a day. Problems? Put a dumpster at the ferry dock. Give them a brochure “YOU ARE A GUEST - DO NOT SCREW UP” when they get a permit. Number the lots. Put lot # on a camping permit. Get a slob-moron leaving a mess and fine them up the ^ for littering based on the lot #. Pay someone $15/day to do a drive through and keep an eye on things for 6 weeks peak-summer . Not rocket science or revenue generating.

Beaver Island had a (SF) state forest camp which was finally abandoned and sold to the twp for $1.00. Still well used but now the twp gets the revenues for maintaining it. Breaks even. No hook ups but well and pit toilets. What does the twp get? Folks coming over to BI and having fun, spending money on meals, groceries, camping stuff and beer… a place for them to come to and enjoy the island. And they come back every year.

Campers and primative camping on BBI… ARE NOT a problem 98% of the time. These are the folks which BBI ought to want to attract. That’s exactly how MANY get hooked on BBI, self included. Not the camping so much as the experiance and “adventure”. This isn’t about the campers. This is about long term preservation of the island so the honest-real campers, and property owners as well, can enjoy it like it has been. We own nothing. I thought we were discussing responsibilities as stewards.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Want to prevent conservation problems on the island? Look at conservation easements and trusts. This seems to be where things are going. Don’t rely on local government to keep things in check. I don’t count on any government, local state or otherwise, for too much of anything. Not in these times.

Pay more, get less. Based on this trend, in not-so-many years, we will pay everything for nothing.

Thanks for letting me put this into perspective. Lets discuss the real conservation problems, instead. Look forward, not inward.

C
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Camping Reply with quote

I love remote camping. BBI's north shore, Lake Mary's point are both great spots. When I saw a black piece of plastic nailed to several trees off in the woods, I investigated. There behind the plastic was a 5 gallon bucket full of sewage. Some self contained RVs might be more welcome.

You raise good arguments for the campers. Dumpsters anywhere are issues, problems. The camping thing is an issue that I'm not going to get into any further. It's all great if folks keep it clean...if they keep it clean.

Their impact is not as bad as those that permanently scar the shorelines so that's where I'm focusing my energies.
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies.

Prisoners Dilemma - look at this URL: http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/PRISDIL.html

In a nutshell, it's a game theory construct that seems to reward bad behavior, because such is more predictible than mutual cooperation. I sometimes feel that I'm in such a game in my neighborhood on the island.

I like peace and quiet. I like undisturbed woodlands. (Although I have to confess that I've thinned several acres of woods - removing only deadheads. No living things have been touched.)

I assure you that I use the term 'idiot' in an advised manner.

I would disagree about much of the expenditure of tax money. I see no sense in widening the roads. If it were up to me, I would let them stay potholed. I believe that plowing them after each rainstorm is expensive, noisy, and counter productive. Some of the advantages to bad roads are that it reduces the speeds of vehicles, and it reduces unnecessary travel. High speeds create dust, noise, danger for walkers, and bicyclists.

I hate, hate four wheelers/ATV's/mules - whatever you want to call them. Close behind are motorcycles, motor bikes, and personal watercraft such as wave runners/skidoos, etc. If they were muffled, I wouldn't care much. But part of their allure seems to be the noise. Kids love them. I can understand; I loved them when I was a kid. (If you want to have a ball try out one of those skate board scooters with a direct drive weedeater engine on the back wheel. Dangerous, noisy, and a kick.) I'm not sure that Robert Frost would have talked about woods that are 'lovely, dark, and deep' if he had had to compete with that type of racket. These motorized gadgets seem to be a part of BBI culture. I don't know why paddling, rowing, mountain biking, hiking, running, etc don't seem as popular?

The 'real costs' of preservation include what you don't do. Spending time sitting on your lot to see what your piece of paradise really is is worthwhile. Strolling around the perimeter, and sitting quietly for hours or days until the critters come out is worth the effort. It's not man over nature, but man with, or under, nature. (I've had a ball just sitting on a stump after dark next to an animal path. Things get real quiet, the nocternal creatures come out. The walk right by you. Your very own Disney moment.) But time is money, and most would rather die than think.

Building something with all creature comforts seems stupid. Why try to recreate what you have at home with all the infrastructure? I personally preferred the Island before electricity and telephone. I come to the Island to get away. Less is more.

When I go around and see the blue eye of a TV peering out of every cottage, I wonder: Why go up to the Striats and watch packaged drivel?

Don't you want to barf when you see an RV or trailer stationed permanently, or semi-permanently? Don't those folks have any class? Come on, have a little pride. How hard is it to go to the library or surf the internet and look at cottages until you find something that just feels good? I see almost no stick and shingle. Are there any glass boxes? A-frames offend the eye, and look foolish on flat land. It doesn't have to be big. It doesn't have to be fancy. Simple elegance works well in a heavily wooded spot. On the other hand, why bother dreaming, thinking, scheming if your neighbor is going to just put some snap-together travesty next door? Hence the dilemma.

When I was a teenager, the Bar was fun - perhaps because I was underage. Now I think it's boring. I'd rather track a deer, skip a stone, or tack across the Straits in a Sunfish.

The stars are wonderful. Satellites everywhere. Sometimes Northern Lights. Often meteors. Always something.

Around me, folks are subdividing their properties, and clearing for dwellings. These houses are mostly cheap. No style or substance. Just rural living machines. Some are even putting in gardens with Burpee type plants. (You know the kind with huge flowers that come from genetic manipulation: doubling, tripling their chromosome count. But they look so garish and crass next to wild cinquefoil or columbine.) What's wrong with dwarf lake iris?

And what's this with dogs? Dogs and critters just don't mix. Why not leave Rover at home? (I like dogs. I grew up with dogs. I never took my dog on a vacation.) Maybe I'm just fixated on the dark night I stepped on a dog poop on one of my trails through the woods.

Eh, whatever.
DawnM
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just no pleasing some people. On one hand you say campers/trailers make you want to barf, but then you complain when clearings are cut to construct a dwelling. Then you complain about the aethetics of the dwelling. Not everyone can construct the ideal cabin. Lets face it, by the time you comply with all of the building codes and requirements, the aesthetics suffer. As fas as campers go, they are less invasive than a structure and doesn't require as large of a clearing. As long as they aren't allowed to sit there and decay and contaminate, that is the best solution for a lot of people to be able to enjoy the island. I don't like to see the island being abused, but on the other hand, when I see another camper, I always think they are getting the same feeling being out there in the woods that I do. I kinda think thats what it's all about. I also don't like the loud atv's but one family of campers next to us on the north shore one time had a mule. It was a dad and his two young daughters, it wasn't loud or obnoxious. It looks like it would be a good way to get around. Uses less gas and goes places that some regular cars can't. I can't come to the island without my dog. I can't afford to kennel her for a week at a time and she loves it here too. I don't let her run off( she is too little anyway). I don't know how may visitor dogs come to the island but it seems like a person could just as easily step in deer, raccoon, fox, coyote or any other kinda poop. I haven't done a lot of hiking yet but I'll make sure to keep my eyes peeled when I do.
I understand what some of you are tying to say but it would take some pretty deep pockets and for some of us just getting there a few times a year is something we carry with us for all of the times we can't.
So there's my two cents, and with inflation it's now worth about .067. Confused
Dawn,
Crystal Beach sub
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn. You get an A+, Charlie too.

Let us not forget the reasons we all enjoy BBI. I am sure the reasons will vary from one to the next. Be it sitting in the woods at night in the dead quiet... or riding a 4 wheeler along the north shore... One form of recreation doesn't invalidate another. Tolerance and compromise? Its a big island.

Lets focus on abuse: Or on preventing abuse.

The plastic nailed to a tree with the pail of sewage... left behind. That would be abuse. It is exactly the sort of thing that wrecks it for everyone. Done by some thoughless moron. Wouldn't it be just swell to be able to know who did that and whack them with the max littering fine? You are going to have some of this no matter how many rules and laws are in place. Deficient brain function or something?

All the rest of the campers, combined, abuse included, have probably done less overall damage, that one dozed clear cut to the waters edge? The plastic/can mess is gross but not permanant.

Suggestions: Perhaps the north shore camping needs to be a little more structured. Lots numbered, a "please do not litter" sign put up. Some 55 gallon drums for trash? Then they have somewhere to put trash. I don't think it would take much $$$ to make these minimal improvements including someone to keep a closer eye on things. We can't expect the sheriff to do this. Afterall, we are talking July 4 to mid august?

Note. I didn't say turn it into a campground.

There has been ongoing discussion about an RV campground on the island.
(including hook ups and a pump station). Good idea? Maybe it is to keep larger RVs off the north shore. Bad idea? I doubt it would break even for the set up costs vs short season.

I don't see "campers" being a source of destruction or pollution, at least not now. They have as much right to enjoy BBI as those with cottages.

I do see unregulated development as a concern. It goes well beyond the aesthetics of individual structures... Cumulative.

C
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RV accomodations on BBI?
Rolling Eyes

I agree with John that unregulated camping on the North Shore should be suspended until proper management is in place and functional.

It is obvious that we all value BBI very highly so why do we let people abuse it for free? at our expense?

The unregulated camping on the North Shore is a hazard to everyone on the island. I remember some posts a while back about unattended camp fires. It will only take one to reduce our paradise isle to rubble. Perhaps an emergency phone out there along with proper waste management and toilets would be a good start. And a numbering of sites or camper registration is also needed..... how can those who abuse BBI be held accounted for if no one has any record of them being there?

The parks and rec committe on BBI needs more passionate people to get involved!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: