Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

DNR to Sell 967 Acres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
islendbird

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: DNR to Sell 967 Acres Reply with quote

St. Ignace News Feb. 2, 2006 by Paul Gingras

"In a massive campaign to reorganize management of state lands, the DNR has restructured boundaries surrounding state forests, state parks, and other parcels in Michigan, and its rededication of boundaries in Mackinac County is complete.

Parcels slated to change hands are strewn across Mackinac County, with sizable portions on Bois Blanc Island.

Local Government entities such as townships and counties will be offered land first, hopefully in six months.

They will have 30 days to decide.

What they decline will then be offered to the area ACO's (alternative conservation organizations) such as Nature Conservancy,etc.

They will have 30 days.

High quality parcels not aquired will revert back to the DNR.

Disposable Land will be offered to the public.

Public aquisition will take place in stages.

For 60 days, citizens will have the opportunity to obtain land by means of land exchanges. If no offer is made on a given parcel, it will be offered in a sealed bid auction at a later date.

Go to DNR website to keep up on this www.michigan.gov/dnr Land Consolidation Strategy ( said it will be posted by Feb. 10,06)"
(thanks for the correction )

This article is too long to print , I have included tidbits of it. It will be available online at the St. Ignace News website in two weeks from printing in the archives section.

But I think there is enough here for folks to see what is happening....

Last edited by islendbird on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:59 am; edited 3 times in total
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to type www.michigan.gov/dnr

It worked for me.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 27 page PDF file.. Try this link..

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Mackinac_PUBLIC_Report_138536_7.pdf

Start on page 9..

Here's the map..

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mackinac_recommendations_138537_7.pdf

Thanks for the heads up, Peggy! Very Happy
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Land Reply with quote

Disposable Land will be offered to the public. Offered how? Anyone know? The map shows LaFayette Point, Crystal Sub, etc. 'up for grabs'? Looks scarey.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: State land transfer Reply with quote

At first, I looked at the map and it scared me to death! The outlined/colored areas represented sections (640 acres each), some to be liquidated entirely and others partially? I believe these are areas where all State parcels or some state parcels contained within, are to be liquidated.

Reading the list of properties... some to be kept by the state, some to be transferred to twp or ACO (alternate conservation org ie LTC) and others to be disposed of being small, isolated or "no recreational opportunities" (ie underwater most of the year. Take a few minutes to read this list and I think things will become a little clearer. There are literally hundreds of small parcels the state wants to dispose of, for good reason, too.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Mackinac_PUBLIC_Report_138536_7.pdf

If you have ever studied the BBI plat maps, you see all the "subdivisions" with non existent roads and 25x50 lots... never developed. Basically a checkerboard mess of state and private ownership. Many of these lots are land locked and have reverted to the state for taxes of were just given as "gifts" (tax write off?)

These subdivisions are "conceptual" real estate.The lots theoretically exist within the subdivisions, however no one knows exactly where. The cost of a survey to figure it out might exceed the value of the property? The the cost of putting a road in above that? (that needs surveyed, too)

Much of this is quite likely unbuildable cedar swamp. Of value to wildlife and as a buffer zone to adjacent private ownership, only.

If I intrepret this correctly. The state is retaining most of the high value land, smaller parcels included... or otherwise transferring it to ACO en mass.

They are clearning up a survey mess from 100 years ago and all the tax delinquent marginal propertys they have been stuck with as a result. I am not so sure this is going to create a huge building boom on the island...

But is still worth keeping and eye on and paying attention to. Laughing

My take on it for 2 cents.

C
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: State Land Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining the State land deal.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not certain I explained it.

Just a guess looking at the list of "keep", "transfer", "ditch"... and why each action is recommended. Many of the "ditch" parcels are tiny or isolated (land locked). It also says how the state aquired the specific parcel. If it says "gift" or "tax reverted" I think that could be translated to "underwater, teensy, cant get to it, or basically not worth keeping."

Give it to LTC or sell it to an adjacent property owner for $1.00...

Just imagine what it costs the state to inventory and "manage" this mess on the island. Annual administration costs probably exceed the value of some of this land. More about cutting losses than selling this land for a profit to the state. Some state eficiency expert/number cruncher probably looked at the admin costs and said "fix it"= ditch it.

With state taxes slipping... The state is looking at a lot of this sort of thing, Better more efficient management of what revenues they do have to work with... Revaluating stuff that has been overhead-let-slide or undermanaged. Now its time to take the ax to administration costs and perpetual overhead? Tighten up the state-belt a tad?

Maybe its a good thing?

I am just guessing.
C
wine country
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Dnr to sell 967 acres...... Reply with quote

This is true about the Dnr. They always want to clean up a mess,however they have been famous for only making a mess bigger. Thankfully there are land consevency groups to step in and save the day.. Hopefully this will be the case...There is always someone that comes in and tries to reinvent the wheel at many of these state agencies.....The end result is not always positive......What has the Dnr done for the island historicly???? I am not able to answer that at all, however that may be the key to the outcome of this.....Keep your fingers crossed on this deal...... Confused Confused Regards, Kevin....
speedster
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: dnr Reply with quote

This week the dnr indicated that the were thinking about taking back the property next to, to the east, of the harbor, that Steve Begle aquired back in 1989. It has 300 feet of waterfront. What are your thoughts about that? Should it stay private? Should the state get rid of all the unusable land so they don't have to pay thier swamp tax to the Township, and aquire lake frontage in return?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something here? If Steve Begel aquired this land from the state in 1989 would it be fair to assume he owns it?

How can the state "take back" land? "Oh... we changed our mind seventeen years after the fact?"

C
speedster
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: dnr Reply with quote

Someone mentioned that the new commercial district is from Hoffmans to Hoover rd. We are not real familer with the Island. We know where the two bars and the harbor are. I am assuming that the area between them is the general vicinity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: