Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Can anyone get to this meeting? 2008 timber cuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erica
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Can anyone get to this meeting? 2008 timber cuts Reply with quote

http://www.record-eagle.com/2006/may/19timber.htm

Can anyone from this site attend this meeting, or maybe get some details about what the state has in mind on BBI? If we have problems with the plan, we'd be better off knowing ASAP! Thanks!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Public comments will be taken on the proposed 2008 timbering plans at two open house meetings. The first will be from 3 to 7 p.m. on June 7 at the Indian River DNR Field Office and will cover Cheboygan and Emmet counties, as well as Bois Blanc Island in Mackinac County.

Is this close to anyone!!!!
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband, Russ, is going to attempt to attend. Obviously, as the Sawmill owner, he has an interest on this subject for BBI.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I am reading this wrong - this doesn't have anything to do with Boblo - which is in Mackinac county?
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, I thought the same thing until I re-read the article. They do mention BBI specifically, toward the end of the piece. It's the only portion of Mackinac County they reference.

Dan
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: BBI mentioned Reply with quote

At the end, they mention BBI in Mackinaw county. Interesting how the state decides to cut trees on public land...been going on forever probably. If they are cutting on BBI, where? Let us know, Russ.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - You're right - I found it too.....
Erica
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do let us far-away people know! State cutting isn't automatically a bad thing. If California would do it more often, they wouldn't have as bad a wildfire problem. (I've went to checking Google News once a week. I type in "bois blanc" and see what pops up!) If any complaints are needed, it would be nice to know early so we can "round up the posse"!
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can go up for it. They are including BBI because under the last reorganization of the DNR/DEQ they put BBI in the Indian River Office of the DNR for enforcement and problems, etc. Even though we are part of the UP.
bbiguy
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Trees Reply with quote

Mr. Conis talked to the forester, and he said they were only going to cut the diseased trees. Conis is on the Island this week and next.. Working his butt off..

BBIGUY
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indian River is my "back yard". If I am there on the 7th, I will stop in and check the DNR meeting. Get the official scoop. If not in IR, Ill be back on BBI.

My former neighbor in Afton "Dan" is a DNR forester in charge of the timber surveys being done through out MI. BBI is within his district. I will tell you flatly, I am impressed with this guy. Educated in forestry and timber management and one who sees things from more than one perspective. IE he just desiginated several tracts of state forest SE of Indian River as "no-cut" because of the old growth red pine (some 200+years old). Mostly , what is being cut, is Jackpine and Poplar ie "scrub timber" for chips.

With Weyerhauser closing its doors (in Gaylord), which was the large buyer of chips for OSB board (chipboard-plywood), the market has about dried up. For chips, it isn't cost effective unless there is a buyer near by. Chips are good for two things: Plywood or fuel.

My conversation with Dan centered on the Beech Tree fungus and EAB issues. Basically he told me the DNR was going to try and contain the Beach problem on BBI as a preservation measure. Beech presently has a low market value. Dan did not mention any large scale operations. He did say there were stands in dire need of thinning.

One other thing Dan has mentioned (which I agree with) is that due to manpower shortages, many of the states forests have been under-managed and basically neglected for decades.

Some feel that "logging" or cutting a tree is a bad thing? Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Fire is natures way of "forest management". Maybe not pretty but practical. Lacking a forest fire, it is "man's" obligation to manage the forests in this age... for the benefit of the forest and wildlife habitat. Clear the old to make way for the new. The science of forest management and it is a science. Either that or nature and fire do the job.

Perhaps some have read about the fires which swept michigan after it was essentially clear cut in the late 1800s? Thank fire for the beautiful forests we now have in this state.

Perhaps some understand the Kirtland Warbler which nests only in Jack pines. Now nearly extinct except for small pockets NE of Harrison. Why? Because this species depends on fire which opens the pine cones so the Jacks will reproduce. They nest in Jacks only of a specific age and height (new growth). I don't believe there are Jackpine on BBI... or very few.

Whatever.

I wouldn't get too worked up about any huge logging/clear-cut operations on BBI. Any state-owned cutting on the island will be that which is overdue and will be of long term benefit. Personally, I am glad the state is keeping an eye on BBIs forests.

This topic belongs in the conservation corner. Please place any response-posts there.

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: