Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

land
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: land Reply with quote

You are so worried about cutting trees maybe you should move into the wet lands (man made) That is killing all the natural trees by drownding them. Just look from the dock to hoffmans, those trees were beautiful a few years ago. Our forest has an umbrella over it chocking out all the younger growth. That kills treees that you are trying to protect. Man and beaver is killing the forest on bois blanc island a lot more then a few people clearing there own properity. Far as I'm concerned we could have stopped any building or clearing 50 yrs ago, then it would have stayed all natural.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, I agree with you 100%.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, I sent you a message, did you receive it?
Lisa
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh?

I really don't understand what you are trying to communicate?

It's always seemed to me that BBI is a forested island, not a park. I always enjoyed watching the various ecosystems mature, and evolve. And following the non-browse fenced UofM areas.

In my experience, the beaver come and go. Over grazing by deer has endangered the cedars in many areas. It's not the people. It's their machines. The machines seem to get bigger and more numerous. What the island needs is machine-predators to keep the ecosystem in check. Maybe high fuel prices. Maybe a nasty recession.

Or maybe education. Hopefully education.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charley we put in a power line wright away in the 60's plug up a lot of drainage ditches none have been reopened also the beaver *darn* up areas and the water drowns trees and other shubs need to keep thease *darn* clear and creeks clear so they run freely to drain some of the wet lands should not be wetlands we created this. (man) Thease forest that you see will dye from non cutting and management There is not an over population of deer over there and never has been and they haven't recked any cedar When you cut and popular shoots come up all over that is the first thing the deer would eat but I have cut a power line clear back to twin lakes now it is full of small populars. The deer sould have ate all of them if there was a lot of them. Lots of acorns all over how come. ( We need lots of cutting)
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy My goodness Kevin, shame on you - there are only 10 billion trees left since you cut yours - And you are right - The forrest needs to be managed and cut/burned, whatever, there are too many areas now that there is nothing but what I call junk trees that are so thick that a decent tree doesn't have a chance to grow there. and I don't think cutting a few trees on your own property should be a crime!!! I also get a kick out of all the "so called" traffic that is continously circling the island looking for clearings with a trailer on them!!! I guess I haven't noticed it in the 36 years I have been coming up.
I think it used to be great years back when someone moved to, or stayed on Boblo and it was interesting on how much you could get along without and live in something that probably wasn't very sitely - To me that was the beauty and mystic of the island, and everyone seemed to be content worrying about ther own problems instead of worring about what eveyone else is doing - not someone hiding a nice fancy place behind trees! Sad to say, But Money will probably dictate what happens.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! Let us worry about our own business, property and let others worry about theirs. Those that are so concerned about others should be looking at their own. Trees hae been cut down everywhere. There is not one piece of property that there has not been trees cut. How else are we-you going to build a cabin? The island is all about trees. I myself have thought about a beautiful tree house Now wouldn't that be different? I Would Love It! thumbs_up! There surely is enough of them there trees.....And I am serious!
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin - thank you for your response.

I think we'll just have to disagree.

I personally liked BBI better before they put in the power lines. I'm sure that I'm in the minority of one who'd like to see them removed and allow the easements regrow.

I like wetlands. I don't mind swamped areas with dead and dying trees. I'm a real fan of fens.

I don't mind folks who cut trees on their own property. I do mind folks who cut mine without permission; and I've had that happen. I have neighbors who have essentially clearcut their property. I guess they assume that I'll never do the same. I imagine that there would be a real stink if I were to clearcut mine and put in a modular subdivision.

Where I live year 'round, I've got an orchard. It's managed, pruned, Rounded Up, picked, etc, etc. I enjoy watching stuff grow on Bois Blanc without intervention. On BBI, I never met a junk tree I didn't like.

Learn to cherish tree-huggers.
Rich
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be a bad idea to poll the existing property owners on major BBI issues and post the results annually via mailings to existing full & part time residents and hand out these pamphlets to potential new residents when appling for permits. My partners and I built
according to code and never gave much thought to some of the reasonable comments we've read on this site. My point is that it isn't always blatant disregard for other peoples valid opinions sometimes it's
simply not knowing people felt that way. I guaranty that we would have been more selective in removing trees had we been more concious of the groups strong feelings. The island is a great place and so are the people that I've met and I agree with the majority in that both need to be appreciated and respected.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the power lines and tree growth...why isn't all of the island buried like the far east end? They run a little trench and bury the cable. No trees die. It looks great, and other than the big ugly green boxes, it is hard for a falling branch or tree to make a power outage. When the power company upgrades it's lines we (islanders) should be requesting the buried cables. I know we tried to remove less trees when we built, but two that we left should have been gone, they tried to take out my front porch, but missed by a branch or two! We have noticed a severe decline in the birch trees, but that has something to do with wet/dry ground, and normal aging.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our above-ground power line has lots of tall trees right alongside, and I gotta say, it makes me very nervous. I'm sure the charge to bury it, even if only from the closest pole, would be in the thousands... but if it could be done for a few hundred bucks I'd strongly consider it.

Dan
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Buried Power Lines Reply with quote

I believe, not totally sure, that the latest zoning only allows the cable to be buried. I'm sure this will make some mad and others happy.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it makes me happy, although the cost probably would make me shudder if I had to pay for a long run of cable. When I can't be on BBI, I have visions of a tree falling, pulling the wire down and starting a fire - no one would know until it was too late. I'm especially concerned after seeing the number of large-diameter trees that fell across our driveway sometime in May this year... Shocked

Has anyone worked with the Island tree experts (Russ Riker or others?) to have potentially dangerous trees removed selectively? Love the trees, just don't want to show up and find that one has crushed my building or taken out the power line. I'd like to cut as few as possible, but am not qualified to evaluate which trees may pose a hazard (other than to look up and think, "Hey, that one would hit me if it falls...").

Dan
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan - are you going to be on the island over the 4th - Looks like My wife and I might come over on the 4:00 on Sat. - Possibly visit Barb!!!!
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we will, as will my guitar... Very Happy Lookin' forward to hearin' some of that sweet pedal steel!

Dan
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie You are right we are just going to have to disagree and I'm glad you like wet lands I wish you had all of it on the island on your properity I guess everyone doesn't agree all the time or we would live in a boring world. I don't know you but I will still like you even with one disaggreement ( but just one).
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I had about 200' of electrical service line buried approximately 2 years ago. I believe the cost was $800. Also, Russ Riker helped me to take down some large trees and remove about 70 stumps, and I was very happy with his work and his price was fair as well.

Let me know where the jam session is. I always have a guitar or two on the island. Very Happy
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, West End Piper... That pricing would be great, actually. I have about the same amount of line to bury. I just gotta figure out who to call and how to have it done. And maybe I should talk to Russ as well.

The jam session is expected to take place at the bar, Saturday 7/1 and possibly subsequent nights as well (with Barb's permission and Ron's availability)! Hope to have a chance to meet you.

Dan
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan - I sold my other steel and have one on order - I just checked with them and I'm not sure if it will be ready - But I'll throw something in with strings - I'm trying to figure out what instrument I could play with just one hand so I wouldn't have to set my Beer down Beer!
We're planing on coming over on the 4:00 PM boat on Sat July 1 - If anything changes, I'll let you know.
C Ya...........Ron
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RON THE SUBJECT HAS CHANGED IN THIS CONVERSATION AND IT DID FOR THE BETTER. I HAVEN'T EVER HEARD DAN PLAY OR SING BUT I HAVE YOU MANY TIMES AND YOU ARE GREAT I HOPE TO BE THERE TO AT LEAST LISTEN. THAT IS IF BARB WILL LET ME IN THE BAR. HA! YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PUT IN A GOOD WORD FOR ME YOU THINK. i HAVE BEEN OVER THE LAST FEW WEEKENDS AND BEEN EATING DINNER AT THE BAR AND SHE PUTS ON A VERY GOOD MEAL. THE STEAK IS WONDERFUL. THATS MY COMPLIMENT FOR THE YEAR. SEE YOU SOON
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still planning on it - Getting a different steel and was told it might be shipped today - which means it should be here in time - Hope to see Y'all
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now and that makes me very happy too! I'll get to really meet and greet a lot of you folks now that Barb gave me a job for the summer.. See you at the Tavern! Cool
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Softball game over the 4th of July!!! Reply with quote

I have about 10 to 12 people interested in a softball game or two on Tuesday the 4th. Mostly guys that have played on teams with me for the past 10 to 12 years, we would really like to get a game with as many people as possible. I'm am sure people like Kevin, Eric, Tony Babcock, people from East and West Ends would have a great time. All would be welcome to play, could pick teams once we get there, (Used to have these games at the airport when I was growing up) men, women, boys, girls, all to participate!!!
ANY INTEREST AT ALL, OR SHOULD I LEAVE ALL OF MY EQUIPMENT HOME FOR THE WEEK??? KEVIN YOU USED TO ORGANIZE THESE THINGS, WHAT DO YOU THINK???
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where to play at I don't think we could use the airport any more. Sounds like fun though just like old times. The airport is the only place that I know of. Curt and I started to build a field at sandbay farms but didn't get very far. I just don't know.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else have any ideas about a softball game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: